• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Setting up my tank for the first time.

hey people! my name is gabriel, i'm 13 years old and i love octopus. I've done a load of research on keeping an octopus in an aquarium and all. I would like to start off with the O.Bimaculoides and yeahh. I have an aquarium, i got it used, the previous owner had an octopus in it so i know it's a reliable size. The aquarium came with all the filtration and stuff. I'm really exited, but I would like to know just how to set the aquarium up for a bimaculoides octopus precisely because i want it to live a happy life. And if anyone has any tips on exactly how to clean the carcasses and remains of the crab/shrimp or octopus food please tell me because i would really love to keep my tank as clean as possible and free from rot so my octopus will be healthy and last. Are there any corals that are recomended? plants? rocks? if so, where can i get them and how much will they cost. If i'm missing anything please tell me what else i need and how much it would cost. I have heard the bimac is the best way to start off, but if anyone has any other recomendations feel free to share them. :biggrin2: thank you!

Bimacs can be hard to get, Check out the octopus availability thread. Also read all the ceph care articles ......lots of info there. How big is your tank? size of the tank depends very much on species a Bimac needs a minimum of 50 gallons and heavy duty filtration (octopus produce much more waste than fish of a similar size). Be prepared to spend money on food octopus eat A LOT!!!

J

haha, thank you very much. :smile: I am aware of the feeding costs and all, i even have the feeder tank in mind all all, i'm going to find a reliable source for fiddler crabs and shrimp. I'm going to take the measurement of my tank and see if it's 50 gallons, if not, do you have any recomendations for a smaller octopus that is good for starters?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back