• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

setting up my 75 gallon

LaXer6188

Hatchling
Registered
I am starting to cycle my 75 gallon tank with around 40 pounds of live rock. I am going to be adding 50 pounds of reef rock from ThatFishPlace and have a 2-3 inch sandbed. Exactly what should i do to my tank now...should i add the clams from octopets in the sandbed so they start to become bigger? i need some help

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

Just cycle your tank - will take three months or so. You should have a nice build up of amphipods that your future octo will like. Before your octo arrives, you can add snails, hermit crabs and other members of your clean up crew that your octo will also enjoy.

No need to get the clams early - in fact, if your order them with your octo, you should keep them in one of those little breeder or isolation net containers that fit into the tank. This is so you can monitor them and keep them from burying in the sand and dying.

Also, you don't need quite such a deep sand bed - 1-2 inches will do.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back