• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Setting up my 55g for an Octopus

Thanks! The skimmer finally started making foam last night, and the microbubbles from the skimmer has drastically reduced. The wet/dry is working perfectly. All it needs now, is to mature/cycle. What would you recommend... me keeping the center open (for him to swim/walk around), or put things in there like PVC (so he can hide/play). I cant decide which would be better. Also, does anyone know what the levels of the water should be? I am also, over the weekend, going to buy a piece of plexi-glass from Lowes. It will be a custom cut lid. Fit perfectly. My question is, how can I seal of the 2 overflow boxes?

Do not put anything in with your octo. The thing that goes around and people repeat is that "if you put an octo in your tank it will eat all your fish." This has certainly been true, and people have had their lionfish eaten by their octopus. However, if you put a bimac in that's 1" across, those other fish are going to be the predators.

The bottom line is if you put an octo in a tank with fish (even a damsel) it is going to have a very negative effect on the octopus. He's going to stay in his den all day, living in fear. You are not going to get the interaction or the viewing enjoyment that most octo-keepers value. These are sensitive creatures.

You're in a pretty good position right now because you aren't 100% certain if an octo is what you want to keep, but the tank isn't stocked yet. An octopus has a short lifespan, so if you order one when the tank is ready, he'll probably die by next summer or fall. At that point you can say "Hey, this was a real good experience, I'll get another" or "Gee, this isn't for me, I'll get some fish." OTOH, If you go ahead and get fish in the next few months, you're precluding yourself from ever keeping an octo in that tank.

Now that I'm done with that tirade, I would distribute the rock a little bit more, so it isn't in piles. You might also get some underwater epoxy from your fish shop and build some caves with it. A few PVC fittings (rinsed very well) would probably be good.

Dan

Ok, well that isnt good. I just bought 6 Damsels to help cycle the tank. When the tank is done cycling, what should I do with them? What if I just let the Octo eat them?

Damsels can get pretty aggressive, particularly in groups. They've been known to strike at an octopus' eyes. I've been bitten by damsels while trying to do tank maintenance.

Sometimes a fish shop will take damsels back, but this is uncommon and don't expect much, if any, money. ReefCentral has buy/sell/trade forums, so you might be able to give them away there. They're hardy fish, so you might consider setting up a little 20 with a powerfilter and a few pieces of live rock and keeping them.

Dan

Yeah, when I bought them today, my little brother thought it was sooo cool. He keeps checking up on them and such. So i said "Hey, when I am ready for my Octopus, I will need to get rid of these. Do you want to set up a 20g tank for them? Maybe it could helpyou get started into saltwater aquariums." His eyes got huge and he said yes. So I have a place to put them when I need to get rid of them. Now, will I be seeing the Octopus around the tank alot or will he be hiing the whole time, all day? I am just not sure if I want one. I really do, acually, but I am just worried that he will just hide all day.

It is hit or miss, they do have individual personalities. I think it can be guaranteed that for the first few weeks or possibly a couple of months, your octo will be pretty shy. But there are plenty of threads about the amazing interaction that people have with their pet octos after they realize where the food's coming from. Check out Lockburn's thread about his bimac grabbing him and not letting go every time he puts his hand in the tank! Or the amazing pictures and videos of Carol's octos or Joefish's recently departed Kashmir.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back