• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Setting up my 55g for an Octopus

Disagree with that bit. Cephs put out large packets of waste, and often...you need a can filter to strain it out, or it will muck up your system quickly!

Oh, so I am going to need to hook up another canister filter to the sump!? Is the Fluval any good? What about the Magnum?

I like the magnet driven can filters, like the Magnum...but a lot of people prefer Fluval and Eheims. They all work well, I just like the ease of maintenance.

Alright, I think i got this down. Now... I have a feeding question. If I order my Octo from Octopets.com, I would order the package with the clams. Can I feed him the clams until they are all gone? Do I just drop them in the tank? Also, after I finish all the clams, I would probably order shrimp from shrimpstuff.com. What size should I order and how many should I feed him every day (both clams and the shrimp). Thanks

Well, a lot of that is subjective...how much it eats, etc. I would recommend starting him off on a variety of foods early on. Carol and the others will be able to chime in and offer you a more accurate count of "how much", as my work has all been done with dwarf octos, not bimacs. (until next spring...:smile:)

I used to feed Henry everyday, a couple, or three clams a day, he decided that he didn't like his tank, so only a couple months (about 8 weeks) to gauge. And there was always 'round 20 hermits in the tank with him.I don't know at what rate he ate those, but they definately were eaten by him. Hope this helps.

Felix.

Ok, I have a very good question here. I think my dad got me a ViaAqua MultiSkimmer which is a skimmer and filter all in one. It is rated at 200 gph. So I was wondering if that is bad? http://www.aquaticexchange.com/product_info.php?cPath=187_242&products_id=313 Will I need more flow? ALso, I think I am buying a wet/dry which will be attached to a sump to put it in. But, should I tell my dad to take it back and get a normal skimmer thats better? Or should I keep it. Becuase if i test it, I wont be able to take it back. LMK, because I know reefs need TONS of flow (I think in a reef u need to turn ur tank over at least 8 times in an hour), but I dont know about octos.

binaryterror said:
So should I just feed him clams from octopets.com and shrimp from shrimpstuff.com?
Hi binaryT -- I can tell you that from what I've observed, my customers who are feeding their saltwater pets are most interested in the small (1/4 - 1/2 inch) shrimp, although some go for the mediums. The smalls are the most cost-effective, and octopuses have fun catching them (by all appearances, it's much more rewarding than frozen shrimp on a stick). A separate feeder tank is pretty much a requirement, of course.

The larges are typically ordered for larger specimens or for other purposes... we also get special orders for much larger shrimp (up to 3 inches and more) for various non-ceph purposes.

I'm no ceph-keeping expert, but am offering my observation based on what I've heard from others who have ordered from me... we definitely have the expertise in this forum to offer more suggestions, but this is what I've seen, for what it's worth!

Welcome to the community!

I see, I think I will use your method with the small shrimp. What about the clams though? Should I get them or not bother? ABout the feeder tank, what will I need in there exactly? Can I use a sump as a feeder tank? Thanks!

Hey BinaryT, when you said "power filter" I figured you mean the little in-tank things that are common in fresh water tanks - which really arent suitable. :biggrin2:
clearjet2.jpg

Like this thing ^

200 gph isn't going to be enough as the only filter, but if it is used as a stable filter, and you have another running carbon, etc, you would be ok. Still a big fan of the Magnum series, just due to ease of cleaning.

I see, so should I take it back and get a good preotein skimmer, and buy a Magnum with my own money?

EDIT: After looking at these for awhile and browsing the reef forums, I am questioning setting this up for an Octopus. It seems so hard and so much work. So please, someone tell me if a reef is easier or an Octo.

Well, they are different. A ceph tank is much more like "large cichlid" sort of tank...lots of filtration, a lot of security features, etc., whereas a reef tank is more fine tuned in regards to lighting, water movement...

I love both. If you are uncertain, I would go for the reef tank ...cephs are the most rewarding animals I have ever worked with, but they do demand faithfullness that borders on insanity !

Well, I was looking around and was leaning towards the Octopus tank again. I am just worried that it wont ever show its self and I will be bored out of my mind. Plus the reef tank will be a [edit] load of money (lighting, corals, all the LR, ect).

Note: Edited by tonmo to remove adult language

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back