• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Setting up an Octopus tank

Black96WS6

GPO
Registered
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and found it after posting this message on Reefs.org.

I've decided to setup an Octopus tank. I used to keep them many years ago (around 1989-1991).

I miss them, and had almost forgotten about them until I happened to come across a post in another forum on how much fun another hobbyist was having with his new one.

I plan on getting a brand new tank, just to house him/her, with no other tank mates. The species will be Bimaculoides (Pacific Ocotpus, also found in the local waters here in San Diego).

I plan on purchasing an aqua-cultured little guy/girl, about 8-10 weeks old.

I plan on getting a 25 gallon tall, getting a generic dark blue light to keep the light levels low, some fine sand for the bottom, and multiple hiding places via rocks or other items (haven't quite decided what yet). Also plan on regulating his/her feeding so he/she won't get too large.

I won't need a heater since it's a Bimaculoides species, room temperature should be fine. Also thinking about using a closed system or something similiar, like the Eclipse, if possible, so it will be harder for him/her to escape :wink:

Since it's been awhile, does anyone who has actually kept an octopus have any additional tips, anecdotes, or advice? :biggrin2:

:welcome: I too returned to octo keeping after many years away, after stumbling across this site!!! I would rethink your tank size. Bimacs need larger tanks. Think we now recommend at least a 55 gal for them.

Carol

welcome to Tonmo! Ditto on what Carol says...as well as an eclipse won't cut the mustard for an octo...you will be better off with a can filter and a good skimmer, or a sumped system (preferable).
The cultured bimacs are great, you should have a lot of fun with your new ceph...
greg

Welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

Glad to have you join us as you prepare for your new bimac.

Sorry, the Eclipse won't work for you. Not only is it too small, but it doesn't allow the strong filtration that you will need, plus a protein skimmer. Here's a discussion of just that topic that we had recently:

Eclipse discussion

We have some articles that might interest you. Just click on the CephCare button above. Have a look at Colin's Equipment List and the Checklist. Also the Bimac Care Sheet.

When you get your little bimac, be sure to let us know on the Journals and Photos forum.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back