• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Setting up a tank for Abdopus for filming

Alex Page

Hatchling
Registered
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me (I used this forum previously for a similar query and received very helpful advice)

I will soon be setting up some tanks to house Abdopus octopuses which we will be filming in for a natural history programme. During the time the octopuses are not being filmed they will be held in aquaculture holding tanks, with saltwater throughflow and the other requirements required to maintain them. However during the periods they are in the filming tanks I want to make absolutely sure they'll stay happy and healthy and am not yet certain on the requirements for this.

My main questions were what pumps, filters etc I should have set up in the filming tanks? They will be large glass aquarium tanks, around 150 gallons. Also, can i just fill these with the saltwater from the throughflow system or should I mix the saltwater with a bought mix?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I want to ensure that the octopuses we are filming are kept in the best way possible until their release back where they came from.

Cheers,
Alex

The best way to do it would be to just add the tank into the flow through system, make it flow through as well, I think you might also want to consider leaving the octopous in one tank and not moving it back and forth that seems like it may cause a lot of stress for the octopus. being caught and released and caught and released over and over again, 150 gallons is more than enough to house a adopus for long periods.

also in the filming tank, for the best picture I suggest making the inside back and side walls flat black, it will minimize problems with reflection. covering it in a thin sheet of black sheet of polymer, Like 'starboard'

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back