• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Sepiolids?

Has anyone kept a sepiolid? If so, how did it do? In particular, has anyone kept a Hawaiian Bobtail Squid? (Euprymna scolopes)

I once saw one at an LFS last December. Are they harder to keep than your average S. bandensis?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
These are seldom kept by hobbyists. Some years ago we had a Tonmo member in Australia keeping some, and bobtails are sometimes kept in labs. It's been years since I've seen one for sale in an LFS.

There is a section in our book (link on the Tonmo home page for purchase) on these little squids and how to keep them. They are not so difficult to keep, but most people find them boring and would recommend another pet.

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
We had a member in Hawaii keep some last year that she caught. The tank conditions were not optimal but she changed the water very often and they live a few months. If I am not mistaken, they are very short lived (less than a year) even in the wild. Look for threads started by littlemarley. I have referenced one but some hunting will give more of her experience.

Thanks for the information. Their biggest flaw to me seems to be their short lifespan. The one I saw was probably ready to die soon. Thanks for the reference, Nancy. I will check it out.

Interesting link, dwhatley :biggrin2: