• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sepia apama variations

i've been looking at alot of pictures of sepia apama and there seems to be 2 subspecies. One with spots on the tentacles and on with stripes. i'm only 14 so i may be confusing 2 entirely different species

There are no subspecies of Sepia Apama. There are two localities, one from Western Australia and one from Eastern Australia. The two have slight variations but are considered the same species. Sepia Apama have both stripes and spots on their tentacles, though in the pictures you saw the individuals have without a doubt chosen to excentuate certain patterns due to genetics, mood, aggression, age, or surroundings. There is also a chance that you may have seen a couple of the different localities, and there is always the possibility that the site you were at did not give a correct ID to the cuttle pictured.

HTH

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back