Seeking Ceph Realted Items For Educational Purposes

Orientation of cephalopod shells in illustrations

Tradition. We need someone other than us old farts to take control :lol:

While I look at one of those models and automatically see it is upside down, I look at fossil cephs in a scientific publication and they seem upside down if they are shown rightside up. :hmm:

Technically, in life position, the body chamber on planispiral coiled shells should be on the bottom(?), to show a partial shell in living position you would need to know how many more coils it had and guess at where the body chamber was (a very picky statement), and the illustration would end up in some weird orientation. But, if you look at the supposed ancestor of shelled cephalopods the aperture would be ventral and so actually shells should be drawn or illustrated pointing down, the body chamber would end up on top (or above the aperture). All very confusing, so I say stick with tradition (for an easy out).

Maybe the seller of those models was just trying to be scientifically correct and illustrate them the way fossil shells are illustrated, but then all the dinosaur models would have to be cut up and shown as they are in scientific publications, one bone at a time. :cool2:

tinak3531;96188 said:
here is a picture of our little ceph-head, this is one of his favorite pictures with an achor on madiera beach, he was so excited to see one, I just don't know why:smile: thanks again to all of you for your posts, I have been grateful to find the items you all have suggested, still looking for a neat poster to frame for his room if anyone has any ideas, also, has anyone ever seen any bedding that is ceph realted? I know thats a long shot but I guess it is worth asking, thanks again, I will be sure to add a picture when he gets trapper if everything goes okay:smile:

Deep Sea bed sheets: http://scienceblogs.com/deepseanews/2007/05/the_sure_beat_my_star_wars_she.php

phil-- didn't make sense to me either! Then again I am Ph. D deficient so I didn't get it much to begin with, but I am learning! Are you guys charging for my tuition?? ha ha, thanks :smile: and by the way, I have drawn a bunch of cephs on Dylan's wall, although they aren't extinct, are they upside down??

cephalopod cast-- Those are fantastic!! I am not sure If you saw Dylan's mural but I think they would be perfect, do you know where I can purchase these at??

To all-- I am still learning about present day cephs:smile: I haven't begun to delve into thier ancestors, so I apologize If I sound silly, but hey, you guys needed a laugh right??

tinak3531;96680 said:
so I apologize If I sound silly, but hey, you guys needed a laugh right??

You don't sound silly at all, enthusiastic though definitely! Everything is a learning curve to all of us. We all like a good laugh have no fear, and no question is too stupid. :cool2:

Great info there Kevin, and an interesting link too.

tinak3531;96680 said:
I am still learning about present day cephs:smile: I haven't begun to delve into their ancestors

No Worries... I'm still less than sharp on prehistoric cephs, and they keep me around.... :smile:

WhiteKiboko- Yeah, There is entirely too much to learn about just the modern day stuff:smile: Ever seen Walking With Monsters?? it is supposed to be the prequel to Walking With Dinosaurs but focuses mainly on underwater creatures as a basis for the beginnings of life, well I hadn't watched the program and Dylan had, so when he started telling me about giant arthropods (looked like scorpions) that were upto 9 meters long that lived in the sea and had gills, I had to laugh at him. I watched the program and apologized immediately. He was right.:smile: That's okay though, at least you guys have vast educational backgrounds making you admirably smarter than me , so I dont feel so bad. But coming from him is worse, He's 4:smile:

Tina,

The link to the sheet/comforter set (unfortunately the print is on the comforter or duvet and shams - not the sheets - ) has a link to where to purchase where the person posting says that he wished this set came in a king.

Can we make it more confusing? In stead of a rabbit trail, here's the link:

http://kukunest.com/browse_deepsea.php

because these are just tooo cool.

I'm going to jump in here for a minute. Dylan sounds a lot like me. When I was his age, I would read EVERYTHING in sight about oceans especially dolphins. I had (and still have/love) a gazillion amazing ocean stuffed animals, and the aquarium was my favorite place. (Still is, I volunteer in education now). I just want to thank you for being such a supportive parent, and encouraging your son's love of oceans. (My mom still thinks that I'm going to "grow out of it", yet the more I learn, the more I want to learn more.) The oceans need more kids like him.

Anyhow, as for interesting materials, try finding big books with large pictures. I just recently (at Costco) found this book called "The Deep". It uses pretty simple language, and it has lots of pictures. Also, there are a ton of picture books that we have in the kids education center about marine animals.

As for DVDs, I don't know if this one's been mentioned yet, but "The Blue Realm" series is really good, and features Dr. James B. Wood as a cephalopod expert, as is this movie called "Incredible Suckers" which I saw in bio last year and haven't been able to find again. It's all about... cephalopods...

dwhatley---- duh:smile: what would I do without you??? pointing me in the right direction every time, arent those adorable?? I just love them, thanks

izzy--- Blue realm, I cant believe you mentioned that, because I have looked for it before, heres the problem, I am without a VHS, only have DVD, do you know if these were put onto DVD format?? I found them once before but only on VHS and I havent ever seen them on DVD. Thanks for the post

I own it on DVD. Some of my science team friends gave it to me for Christmas. They got it at the discovery store. (And they're going out of business, so if you can get to one soon, you can get a nice discount.) Or try online. Hope that helps.

If anyone sees a copy of Incredible Suckers in any US format, PLEASE let me know. All the places that had it have been out for over a year and it has not been officially put on DVD (I would gladly buy an unofficial copy since it is not available) or recopied for VHS that I can find. I keep hoping someone will list an old copy on eBay but so far, no such luck.

tinak3531;96495 said:
cthulhu- I am not sure about fantastic, but that's what he wanted, thanks so much for the compliment
At least around these parts, "fantastic" is the proper term to describe that mural!

tonmo--thanks , I will take the "fantastic" in your terms, actually, it's quite a nice compliment because most people who look at his room think I did a terrrible job becuse they have no idea what the animals are, I can't blame them, that hairy angler definently doesnt look like a fish. :smile: And nobody we know knows what periphylla (sp) is :smile: So it is refreshing to hear from people who can at least recognize some of them. All 4 walls are done, if you are interested, I can post the other 2, there is a neat (well it is supposed to be ) humboldt squid, and vampire squid on the wall behind where trapper is., and a grimptoteuthis. He wanted architeuthis! His room is smallish and has strange returns near the doors, so I could not think of a way to fit archi in there where you could actually see him. But I gotta say, buying murals on the wall is so costly, and didn't have the creatures he wanted, besides the time it takes (about an hour for a larger squid) you can't beat the price, it cost about 10 bucks in paint to do his room, that and a couple brushes, and I use unused makeup brushes that are tiny (dont wear the stuff anyways, at least they got used) for the detail. The whole room took about 12 hours over a few late nights. But he can spend hours in there playing and digging in his special box, and now talking to trapper, ha!) And of course pointing out the missing siphons or incorrect colors. So thanks all, always nice to hear from people with the same interests as him, most kids that come to play think he is weird, oh well, the firetrucks and teddy bears never thrilled him, so why push?? He can like what he wants to:smile:

dwhatley--- same prob as you on the incredible suckers, pass it along if you find it, thanks

izzy-- go figure our discovery store closed recently, the last time I remember a big selection of ocean DVD's was in the weirdest place, Mandalay Bay resort In Las Vegas, They had a lot of Discovery DVD's but no blue Realm , we did pick up a few though. i will try Discovery online, but I thought PBS made the Blue Realm Series, perhaps that is why I couldn't find it on PBS.com?? Thanks

I tried to buy The Blue Realm from the Discovery on-line store last night but the shopping cart had problems. I tried different settings with both browsers without luck and then found that the customer support link was broken as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back