• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Search and Update

It has been a while since I have posted and wanted to share that my research into the species and ownership of same has taken me to aquariums and stores within regions of the nation. Traveling in Greece last year, I saw a Vulgaris that was just the right size for what I would like to own.

Not too big and not too small. I know that the individual animal can only demonstrate whatever interaction personality or learning curve you can induce it to do, yet I remain hopeful to own one that will unlock a device to get to food and experiment with other objects.

There is a tank company called Marineland that I have been told is an industry standard and I have looked at a model that can go up to 40 gallons with added depth that I was told is apropos for an Octopus. Now the tough part. Getting a good octopus, especially a Vulgaris or similar species has been an exercise in pure futility. Living in the Northeast, all the stores in my neighborhood try to get them from the same domestic wholesalers. The problem is that if it is DOA they will not refund my money. That just doesn't sound right to me, despite their fragility. The only source seems to be the infamous industry suppliers for aquariums or biology schools etc who do not want to deal with me. So what do I do? I can only think of finding a fellow owner who wants to sell or perhaps has bred the bigger species and then I can adopt one from same. It has not been easy meeting fellow owners or enthusiasts where I live in the state of Connecticut and would welcome hearing from same. It also would be great to attend the convention in Florida this fall. My budget is reaching the point when I can invest in an Octopus and a tank and I trying to learn all I can.

Best:

Ian M. Gordon
IMG_0899.JPG

Last edited:
Ian,
Welcome to TONMO and your upcoming cephalopod adventure! O. vulgaris is a marvelous species but not often kept at home because of the tank requirements (and seldom offered for sale for the same reasons). A 40 gallon tank is WAY too small for even an O. briareus. It would make a good sump for a 130 gallon (or better) needed for a typical O. vulgaris. Before you start investing in hardware, you might have a look at the collection of threads in the Posts with Infor for New Octopus Keepers to help with a better vision of tank sizing and octopus availability.

Hi Ian - thanks for posting! As D notes, O. vulgaris can get a bit big. I believe for some smaller octos (like O. briareus or a O. bimaculoides, if you can find them, would work well in a 55 gallon tank... I believe that's the minimum tank recommendation for the smallest of species.

Hope to see you in Florida! :thumbsup:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back