seafloor sequestration of CO2

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Sea-bed plan to store carbon

I can't decide if I think this is a good idea or an awful idea... there's not much mention of what the impact would be on benthic life forms. On the other hand, they seem to think you can store a huge amount of CO2 in a very small amount of sea bottom...

Thoughts?

This latest proposal seems a little less risky, but I'm still not at all sure it's a god idea. They had better be darn sure there is no potential for seismic activity.

Sounds like a solid idea, but everything always does until you're 50 years down the road and they say, "Oops, guess we figured that the CO2 would stay contained and not leach. We apologize for drop the ocean pH by half!" The science sounds promising, but I think this is way too risky without proper trials and tests first on a small scale to determine biological effect. But we don't have the time for that either.

Enjoy the next decade people, it may be the last!

Cheers?

If my memory serves well, a drop/rise of the 1 PH level means that it's 30 times more alkaline/acidic than before. So if it's half a degree, it's means that the ocean is going to be 15 times more acidic than ever before! Whoopee flipin do. Better stock up on bottled water and canned beans for the next 50 years or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back