• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Seachem Phosguard (and aluminum oxide phosphate removers)

dolfinnk

Hatchling
Registered
Has anyone used Phosguard in their octopus tanks? I've used GFO (granular ferric oxide) in my system without any apparent octopus health issues, and have some Seachem Phosguard that uses aluminum oxide to absorb the phosphate, but can't find anything about whether or not it's octopus safe. Supposedly Seachem's doesn't leak aluminum into the water like some older aluminum oxide phosphate removers do - Seachem often advertises that all their stuff is safe for all sorts of reef tanks, but I saw that their Flourish algae supplement has small amounts of copper in it so, I'm skeptical. GFO (Ferric oxide) is also metal based (which makes me nervous), so if anyone has info about using that with octopus, that would be useful too.

Thanks!!

GFO should be okay to use in your octopus system. I use PURA Phoslock in my systems and have never had any negative effects. If you are really concerned about leeching metals into your system, you can also add some cuproisorb to pull out any heavy metals in your system. I think this stuff I linked changes color when it comes in contact with copper so you will be able to see if your phosphate remover is leeching anything nasty into the system.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back