• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sea Clone Skimmer for Cuttle Tank.

newportjon

Hatchling
Registered
So, I went into my local Petco today to talk to a friend of mine who is a manager there. We got to talking about my latest obsession with Cephalopods. After exchanging ideas about equipment for my soon-to-be cuttle tank, he told me they had a protein skimmer in the back that was marked way down. I asked him to grab it so I could check it out. It was a Sea Clone 100 that was on sale for only $10. I jumped at the deal, not knowing too much about skimmers but thinking this had to be a good deal.

When I got home I did some research and, as it turns out, they didn't get great reviews. Although, I saw the thread on skimmers here and that a few people use them w/ success.

I guess my question is will this work for a 30g Cuttle tank?

Or should I get something else?

I would get something else. A skimmer is pretty much the most important piece of equipment for a cuttle tank, so don't skimp. Seaclones are notoriously lame, get something better like a bacpac or remora or something. :smile:

I've tried modding those skimmers in every possible way and I never ended up with an acceptable skimmer. Definitely look into getting something else. If you are budget conscious look into Reef Octopus also Esshops, Vertex and Bubble Magus are supposed to be decent budget skimmers also. I don't have experience with any of them but I have read good reviews on all of them. They are based on more effective skimmer technology.

Intoxicologist;141194 said:
I've tried modding those skimmers in every possible way and I never ended up with an acceptable skimmer. Definitely look into getting something else. If you are budget conscious look into Reef Octopus also Esshops, Vertex and Bubble Magus are supposed to be decent budget skimmers also. I don't have experience with any of them but I have read good reviews on all of them. They are based on more effective skimmer technology.

Octopus and Vertex are good budget options. Seen them both in action. Bubble Magnus is supposed to be good as well.

If this tank is sumpless then I think you pretty much are limited to an octopus hang on the back or deltec. Very few companies make half decent hob skimmers. Just another reason to never go sumpless.

surprisingly my first skimmer was this and it work better than my super coralife skimmer now lol or is it just me it work well tho

Skimmers are so strange. Of all the low and medium end ones I have tried, I like my Coralife the best for cleaning, junk collection and noise (I do have to add pumped air in one case because of the sump depth). I have not tried a high end skimmer (nor am I willing to) so I may be missing the boat on what it should do.

dwhatley;141281 said:
Skimmers are so strange. Of all the low and medium end ones I have tried, I like my Coralife the best for cleaning, junk collection and noise (I do have to add pumped air in one case because of the sump depth). I have not tried a high end skimmer (nor am I willing to) so I may be missing the boat on what it should do.

There is a huge difference between a low end and even a medium end skimmer. Maybe if you're just keeping an octopus and no corals a low end one will suffice but for corals and I'm convinced cuttlefish as well you need something with more punch.

Just today watching my cuttlefish ink like crazy I can't imagine what I'd do without a decent skimmer and they're still babies.

This is more then 2 years old but a pic when I was first breaking in my ati bubblemaster 250

Picture048.jpg

Once I get my 2 cuttles into their own tank I'll take some pics of the skimmer in action. I'll be using a bubbleking mini 200 on a 90gallon cuttlefish tank that I plan on stocking with mostly soft corals.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back