• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sea Clone 150 Protein Skimmer

Hello All,

I just installed my skimmer today and i cant help to read all the bad things about this skimmer. Does anyone have this skimmer and what are your thoughts on it? Also i am not seeing any foam come up to the cup and I've also read about a "break-in" step that skimmers have to go thru... Can someone tell me what happens in the break in and how long i should expect it to take?

Thanks!

I have a 75g n im not gunna say my sea clone is the best in the world but after a few months of it (and yes i am a newbie) and i should of should of gotten another I reliezed the reason it wasnt working well was bc most of the bubbles it was producing was escaping threw the return (the water flowing back into the tank) so i found sum semi heavy plastic from a package cut a piece and glued it to block the return at least halfway and since then ive been producing a ton of foam.

IME, they aren't really the best skimmers. They do skim, and do produce skimmate, but it generally takes them longer to do both. The break in can take anywhere from a day to two weeks. The breaking in is the skimmer neck building up organics so the organic laden bubbles can 'climb' it. I suggest you open the airway full - thats how I got the best results from mine.

What size tank is this on?

DaveyJones;92479 said:
I have a 75g n im not gunna say my sea clone is the best in the world but after a few months of it (and yes i am a newbie) and i should of should of gotten another I reliezed the reason it wasnt working well was bc most of the bubbles it was producing was escaping threw the return (the water flowing back into the tank) so i found sum semi heavy plastic from a package cut a piece and glued it to block the return at least halfway and since then ive been producing a ton of foam.

Because of the way the seaclones are constructed, I don't think that modification would change the foaming of the skimmer - or the amount of bubbles exiting the reaction chamber to return to the tank. I guess it might put a little more back pressure on the pump, but I don't think it would change anything in the reaction chamber. I would guess the air intake 'clogged' a little with salt spray and that lowered the amount of bubbles exiting the reaction chamber and 'tuned' the skimmer to a sweeter spot.

One of the reasons these skimmers are notoriously difficult is because they not only are difficult to 'tune' but quickly go out of 'tune'.

well im just going to have to hope it works out for me, i got it for a really good price and i figured it looked cool with the whole vortex thing and all. to answer your question thales its a 75 gallon tank. also... you think its better to have the air set to full for the break in period or full time once the bubbles start to foam up?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back