scifi: squid as narrator

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
A friend of mine was just reading a book that has a genetically enhanced reef squid as one of the main characters (sometimes narrator). Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter. He gave it a weak thumbs-up in general, but it sounds like it does get most of the ceph stuff fairly right. I have the book, but I haven't read it yet... anyone read it? It's apparently part of a trilogy with Manifold: Space and Manifold: Origin. When I get a chance to read it, I'll report further. In flipping forward a few pages looking for the first squid sighting, I got the steamy squid sex scene, which is fairly sound in biological terms.

Monty,
The reviews on Amazon seem to agree with your friend so you will have to report if there is enough squidiness to make it worth the read (the squid parts reviewed quite well, just not the plot and characters).

dwhatley;90928 said:
Monty,
The reviews on Amazon seem to agree with your friend so you will have to report if there is enough squidiness to make it worth the read (the squid parts reviewed quite well, just not the plot and characters).

Perhaps some formalised squidiness rating is required for describing this sort of thing so books,movies and such can be rated along the lines of:

"Man the ads for that movie so lied, I reckon it only rated about 20 microteuthans. You hardly saw the squid at all!"

:wink:

i think that there should be more tv shows books and movies that feature cephs. imagine replacing all of the charachters in Lord of the Rings with cephs. souron could be a colosal squid, and the elves would be replaced by cuttlefish. and dwarf octopus... well that goes without saying

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back