[Science Article]: Lepidoteuthis paper, by Dr. Steve O'Shea

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
I am happy to introduce a new paper from Dr. Steve O'Shea, for your consumption:

Unique hooks in the male scaled squid Lepidoteuthis grimaldii Joubin, 1895

Actual publication details:
Jackson, G.D.; O'Shea, S. 2003. Unique hooks in the male scaled squid Lepidoteuthis grimaldii. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 83: 1099-1100.

Thanks Dr. Steve for another great contribution!!

:oshea:

I gotta get me some of those. Then I could be, like: "Hey, baby, you and me oughta hook up sometime." And the chicks'd love me. And I'd be so 8).

(I'll swim in ketchup yet, I tell you!)

Now for a bunch of questions...

It's mentioned that the hooks might have an "additional possible" role in agonistic behaviour between males. How likely is that considered to be? Their location seems a bit awkward for something like that. How much damage might these hooks do? How tough are the scales? Does "twice the size" mean the female is twice the weight or more like twice the length?

God, I'd love to see these things alive.

I gotta get me some of those. Then I could be, like: "Hey, baby, you and me oughta hook up sometime." And the chicks'd love me. And I'd be so 8)

um...................would you be single at the moment by any chance?? With pick up lines like that it'd be no wonder :shock: :roll: :tomato:

It's mentioned that the hooks might have an "additional possible" role in agonistic behaviour between males. How likely is that considered to be? Their location seems a bit awkward for something like that. How much damage might these hooks do? How tough are the scales? Does "twice the size" mean the female is twice the weight or more like twice the length?

I'll put in my :twocents: :grad: here (it's about all it's worth, never seen one of these beasties!)

The location of the hooks may seem awkward to us, but y'know we got these bones that aren't too flexible! ceph arms/tentacles on the other hand are extremely so! As for damage.....dunno they look mean tho' :biggrin2:

In most squid I've seen twice the size means just that! length AND weight!
Steve??????????????????????????????

I've had too much :coffee: today my brain hurts!

J

It's an interesting one. The original MS was a little different - neither of us wanted to include the male/male agonistic thing, but one ref kind-of suggested that it be included. Personally I think it unlikely, and that the primary function/role of these hooks is to latch on to the female during mating.

Does it hurt or cause much damage? Probably, but we've recently seen all sorts of bizarre things on the R & D forum, where the male has impregnated the female with spermatophores by direct implantation through her mantle (using his 'boy bits') (see genera Histioteuthis and Pholidoteuthis), so nothing surprises me anymore. Maybe they enjoy this :goofysca:

... there could be hope for you yet, um..... :heee:

Jean said:
um...................would you be single at the moment by any chance?? With pick up lines like that it'd be no wonder

Heh, heh. Just doing a little bathymetry; I'd never use a gem like that within arm's length. :wink:
Just wait until I make my debut on groaners... :yuck:

Jean said:
The location of the hooks may seem awkward to us, but y'know we got these bones that aren't too flexible! ceph arms/tentacles on the other hand are extremely so!

Point taken. Like Steve, nothing would surprise me anymore where deep-sea cephs are concerned. I'm also wondering what kind of control the squid might have over the sheaths. Yeah, I'm pretty ignorant.

This article has also been updated into a more Web-friendly format:

[URL2="[URL="http://www.tonmo.com/science/public/lepidoteuthis.php"]PDFs: A Collection of Cephalopod Papers[/URL]"]Unique hooks in the male scaled squid Lepidoteuthis grimaldii Joubin, 1895[/URL2]

Thanks again to Steve O'Shea for the contribution, and to George D. Jackson, co-author of the paper. :cool2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back