Saw an amazing Octopus at the aquarium!!!

Heyy guys!!!!

I just went to the aquarium AGAIN and finally got to see that same octo once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, it...again was incredible to watch. And this time, it did a few things different. At first, when we arrived to its tank...it was hiding at the very, very top of the tank were we couldn't really see it anymore. The only thing that could be seen was the tippy part of its mantle..all spiked and textured to match the surrounding rock formations. We decided to go back in another hour or so to check up on it again. I was getting worried that it would stay hidden. However, once we got back...the octopus had finally come out of his hiding spot and finally drifted to the bottom once again. Instead of being red, it was now mostly dark greyish colors with spiked textured skin near the rocks and boulders it was sitting apon. It stayed on these rocks for about 5 minutes straight, just glaring at us...and cleaning itself by taking all of its tentacles and wrapping them around its mantle with its web expanding. After being curled up, it let loose...jet foward and bumped its mantle in the tank glass. Funny to watch. It slowly drifted back down again and decided to glue itself to the glass once again as before.

I loved this octopus, and since they are very smart...and CAN tell certain humans or divers from eachother, she may have remembered me from previously. I wouldnt know though. She was stuck to the glass, stared at me the whole time and stayed close to us. She was AMAZING. I loved her movements of swaying from the glass from right to left...back and forth while still staying glued to the glass with its suction cups. Instead of its mouth facing us the whole time, it now was right side up with its mantle and eyes visible looking at us and me. lol. I stayed at the exhibit for about 30 minutes straight...so long that I stayed right before the exhibit closed as the aquarium was closing in 5 minutes. I stayed till the very, very end and the octopus continued to spread its tentacles, and stay upclose looking at me for the whole time. It was so much better this time as it seemed a lot more interactive and very friendly. Once the aquarium was about to close, I just left and waved bye. However...I got about 12 more photo's of this incredible creature instead of 6. I'll be scanning them in hopefully before october hits. I also have about 3 shots of just me WITH the octopus next to the tank with the octo looking at me...I was soo flattered. It was such a cute, friendly creature to spend time with. I was very happy as the day ended. :smile:

That's awesome dude - you rock!! Was the Octo upset in any way from the flash of the camera? I know they like low light, so I was wondering how a camera flash would affect them.

bobwonderbuns said:
That's awesome dude - you rock!! Was the Octo upset in any way from the flash of the camera? I know they like low light, so I was wondering how a camera flash would affect them.

No, it actually reacted more curiosly. Im guessing that this octo was more aged and grown...so it was probably used to the people by now. This would probably be the best octo encounter iv had in person at an aquarium and luckily...the most friendliest towards me and everyone else. It wouldn't ever hide.

Ya, it killed me to not be able to see it behind the scenes though :frown:

I was dying to touch it, lol. It was too friendly and enthusiastic to ignore in anyway. Im glad it had the most publicity in the whole room at the aquarium. It had to be the most attractive animal in the place besides the sharks which everyone favors over everything. Too bad I cant see the big deal about them...lol.

Ya, thats what I said. It was obviously an aged octopus used to being with the public. Besides, some people had digital camera's also and even cam-corders...unfortunately, I didn't but next time, I wanna film the octopus whenever I can. Once I get more pictures up, I hope they can make it into the ceph pictures on this website. It would be a great addition to have another GPO up. Well...actually, its possible to still be an O. Vulgarus.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back