Satellite Spots 'Glowing' Ocean

CarlS

O. vulgaris
Registered
This isn't really ceph related, but it is marine related so I figured some people might be interested.

The story is on the NPR site right here and on LiveScience right here.

--Carl
:cyclops:

Tons of other squid have photophores. One of the better know surface squid that bioluminece is the small Watasenia scintillans  , also commonly called the Japanese firefly squid. They are caught in great numbers in nets around costal Japan at night and the video footage makes it look like they are pulling in great nets of glowing blue goo. Really cool.   Anyways, I didn't read the article, probably should, but as CarlS pointed out they don't really suspect cephs to be the cause or these glow spots. I think they're leaning more towards things like plankton or copepods or something more along those lines. Great find!

Cheers!

I'd have to say that it's plankton or some sort of ity bity things like that.

But I'd love to declare as the glowing tentacle tip of a large squid or the ink of a squid that produces glowing ink.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back