Sasquatch of the Sea? aka, the Fuzzy Nautilus

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi Everyone,

Whether you call it the fuzzy nautilus, the Sasquatch of the sea, or plain ole Allonautilus scrobiculatus, there's something special about this nautilus. Thanks to the CBC for coining the interesting sasquatch of the sea term and for the video.

Understanding the entire biodiversity, not just nautiluses, of the deep sea is the best way to preserve and protect nautiluses and their habitat.

Also such a cool encounter to see a sunfish (Mola mola) down deep with nautiluses!

Greg

Attachments

• RARE-FISH-CGY_1800kbps.mp4
    11 MB · Views: 299
Hi Everyone,

Whether you call it the fuzzy nautilus, the Sasquatch of the sea, or plain ole Allonautilus scrobiculatus, there's something special about this nautilus. Thanks to the CBC for coining the interesting sasquatch of the sea term and for the video.

Understanding the entire biodiversity, not just nautiluses, of the deep sea is the best way to preserve and protect nautiluses and their habitat.

Also such a cool encounter to see a sunfish (Mola mola) down deep with nautiluses!

Greg
A-MAZING!!! And the photo bombing sunfish is a sharptail sunfish (Masturus lanceolatus) which is rarely filmed although they dont appear to be more rare than the molas.

A-MAZING!!! And the photo bombing sunfish is a sharptail sunfish (Masturus lanceolatus) which is rarely filmed although they dont appear to be more rare than the molas.
Thanks for the clarification! I do remember some "fish experts" (of which I am not), suggesting it was a different species of sunfish... I could not figure out how to edit the initial post, so thanks for posting this! We recorded that sunfish for hours!!!!

Greg

Thanks for the clarification! I do remember some "fish experts" (of which I am not), suggesting it was a different species of sunfish... I could not figure out how to edit the initial post, so thanks for posting this! We recorded that sunfish for hours!!!!

Greg
WHAT - you filmed it for ... hours?! If that footage is still in existence I will pay many beers in exchange for a chance to watch it - rare indeed to see what individual sunfish get up to, let alone Masturus! My email is [email protected]

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back