• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sand question

Missnano

O. vulgaris
Registered
I'm trying to get my dwarf moved to his bigger tank (30g), by using my rock and water from my established tank.

As for sand, should I buy a live bag at the lfs, or X the sand for quicker cycling?

Or will it take the same amount of time?

Any suggestions help!

Ok I hate to admit this but I have done this a couple times. What size is the tank he is in now?

Well, when I got him the store told me I could put him in a 10g or a critter cage and put it in my main tank as he was a dwarf and didn't need much space. So I did, and Im just not ok with him being in that small of a space, so I'm trying to get him into his very own tank. I went out and bought a tank, skimmer, everything and just got it filled tonight using my tank water and some fresh mixed up salt water. I'm trying very hard to give him what he deserves.

They had him in a small dish under the light with no rocks or anything when I got him. So even in his small tank now it's an improvement sadly.

Ok how old is the tank he is in right now? Water? Rocks?
What I am trying to say is if the tank he is in now is 15g and you want to move to a 30G you just move everything over. Rocks. water. anything else. Now if the rocks are not that old and your on the 15lbs or under then no. dont do it. Does your LFS sell Live rock? Find out how old the rock is. How long its been in the system they are using to cure the rock. If the rock has been cured more then say 3 months buy another 15lbs and go for it with the 30g.
Wait. Hank is in a 10g critter cage? What does it have for filtration? what are you going to use for filtration on the 30? All of this is important. Have you had a reef or saltwater system before?

Ok how old is the tank he is in right now? Water? Rocks?
What I am trying to say is if the tank he is in now is 15g and you want to move to a 30G you just move everything over. Rocks. water. anything else. Now if the rocks are not that old and your on the 15lbs or under then no. dont do it. Does your LFS sell Live rock? Find out how old the rock is. How long its been in the system they are using to cure the rock. If the rock has been cured more then say 3 months buy another 15lbs and go for it with the 30g.
Wait. Hank is in a 10g critter cage? What does it have for filtration? what are you going to use for filtration on the 30? All of this is important. Have you had a reef or saltwater system before?

He's in this critter cage with holes in my 75 gallon tank. There's no way I can proof my 75 for him. I'm moving water and some rock from my 75 to his 30g. The 75g tank and rock has been up since July - so 8 months. I have a sump and skimmer on My 75 and my parameters are fine so far. We've had him for a week now. ( knock on wood)

The new tank will have a skimmer but no sump. Might add it later though.

I'm not new to the hobby though. My 75 is loaded corals, inverts, and some fish. This is just my first octopus though. I've been wanting one for around 6 years.

I had to setup an emergency 30G recently with an HOB filter and HOB skimmer. My breeding clowns were very territorial and killed a new tang so I had to move them to their own tank. I used rock and sand from my 125G and a jar of Dr. Tim's one-and-only bacterial starter as well but I also had new rock and dry sand as well. I had a low amount for Ammonia for a a few weeks and brown algae, so the tank went through a cycle. Everyone is OK now and the ammonia alter never went above ALERT color, but clowns are hardy fish. I would not have wanted to put a ceph in that tank until it was fully cycled.

Attachments

• 20170308_194831.jpg
    20170308_194831.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
Ok Yes as long as you move rock and water from the 75 I think you will be fine. I would take rock and the new rock would go in the 75. I have done this several times and though its not the best way, It works. If you move rock and water you should have no cycle "Or a very tiny one" and you will have removed that bio load from the 75 so the new rock should have no issue and really no spike also. I did this when I found out Casper was a Vulgaris. We thought she was a full grown dwarf so she was in my 8g bio cube which has been running for 8 years. In 2 weeks she had doubled in size. I have 5 systems going and pulled rock and water from all of my systems to set up the 93 cube she is in. No cycle and no issues. Now I have been doing salt water for 20+ years and I am a packrat So i have everything.
I have not used the DrTims but I did use a product called Turbo start many years ago. It did work for me. It was on a 90g with no liverock "Just dry" and no starter water. I dont suggest this way as the bottle has to be kept cold and has to be used in a small window of time.

Ok Yes as long as you move rock and water from the 75 I think you will be fine. I would take rock and the new rock would go in the 75. I have done this several times and though its not the best way, It works. If you move rock and water you should have no cycle "Or a very tiny one" and you will have removed that bio load from the 75 so the new rock should have no issue and really no spike also. I did this when I found out Casper was a Vulgaris. We thought she was a full grown dwarf so she was in my 8g bio cube which has been running for 8 years. In 2 weeks she had doubled in size. I have 5 systems going and pulled rock and water from all of my systems to set up the 93 cube she is in. No cycle and no issues. Now I have been doing salt water for 20+ years and I am a packrat So i have everything.
I have not used the DrTims but I did use a product called Turbo start many years ago. It did work for me. It was on a 90g with no liverock "Just dry" and no starter water. I dont suggest this way as the bottle has to be kept cold and has to be used in a small window of time.

Do I need to worry about calcium, Alk, or mag?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back