sad news

well it seems that my new baby bimac has some issues... over the weekend it ate one fiddler and hasnt eaten since. i noticed when i got back in town that a couple tips of its legs were missing but i was hoping that it was the work of the blenny in the tank taking bites out of them when the octo stuck its legs through the critter cage but im afraid its worse. since sunday its been holed up in a shell. this morning i walked in and noticed it was barely hanging onto the inside of the shell and didnt look good. i tilted the shell and out slides a half eaten arm... i guess its autophagy(if thats how you spell it) not looking good right now though. the color changes dont occur but its still got some color. just have to wait and see what happens i guess:cry:

joefish84;99041 said:
well it seems that my new baby bimac has some issues... over the weekend it ate one fiddler and hasnt eaten since. i noticed when i got back in town that a couple tips of its legs were missing but i was hoping that it was the work of the blenny in the tank taking bites out of them when the octo stuck its legs through the critter cage but im afraid its worse. since sunday its been holed up in a shell. this morning i walked in and noticed it was barely hanging onto the inside of the shell and didnt look good. i tilted the shell and out slides a half eaten arm... i guess its autophagy(if thats how you spell it) not looking good right now though. the color changes dont occur but its still got some color. just have to wait and see what happens i guess:cry:

sorry to hear it's not doing so well. Have you checked all your water parameters? I seem to remember that autophagy-type behavior can sometimes be related to a water chemistry issue, in which case there may be something you could do... hopefully it's not the contagious autophagy.

well the little guy didnt make it... the water params are perfect so i dont think that was it. im gonna do a water change anyway just to be sure though. i havent had the little guy even a week so im pretty sure its something that came with him and not something that was in the tank already. :sad:

Sorry that the little bimac died. :angelpus:

Please search the forums for information on autophagy - Jean has posted a lot about this problem. You may have to clean your tank.

Nancy

Sorry, Joe. That's rough. RIP :angelpus:

As Nancy said, Jean has posted a lot about the contagious kind of autophagy; unfortunately, in her experience, if you don't sterilize every part of the system, whatever the pathogen is (the thought is a prion, maybe) tends to stay in the tank and cause problems for the next octo, too. But ask the experts how to identify that variant of autophagy as different from just "sick octos sometimes bite themselves" before tearing apart the whole tank, of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back