• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

sad news....BUT!!!

Archer

Cuttlefish
Registered
I haven't poted for a while so thought I'd get up to date.
Ozzie...my first octopus sadly died.All water parameters were fine but he just refused to eat.I put feeder crabs in of an appropriate size but none were taken.
I'm afraid that put me off buying another octo HOWEVER went into a LFS yesterday and found an octo in a tiny tank:sad: .He is much bigger than Ozzie was....his mantle is about 2 inches across and his legs about 10 inches long.He has a very 'spiky' appearance and is a mottled dark brown colour ..excellent camouflage.He is much more alert than Ozzie and was watching everything going on round the tank and has eaten in the shop.
Needless to say I couldn't leave him in that little tank so he will be coming home either tomorrow or monday.I know I have either got a mature smaller octo who may not have long to live in which case I am hoping to let him spend the rest of his life in comfort or a young large octo who may need a bigger tank...whichever the case I will make sre he is well looked after

RIP Ozzie and :welcome: to your new octo... from the description, my first guess is that it could be an Abdopus aculeatus, since they have been showing up in LFSes a fair bit recently and seem to spend more time in "spiky" appearance... in that case, it may not be at its full size yet, so it might not be near the end of its life cycle, so it could be a happy medium that wouldn't outgrow your tank, but isn't at the end of its life. Of course, I'm just guessing on your tank size, but I seem to remember you had a pretty good home prepared for Ozzie, so I'm thinking it's a 55-75gal with filtration appropriate for a ceph, which seem to do fine for an aculeatus, bimacs, and briareus.

It does sound like A. aculeatus. THis species occures in northern Australia and Indonesia. 72 F is probably the minimum temperature that this species sees. We keep ours at 75 and they do very well. Being that this is a low intertidal species, they can tolerate temperatures well into the 80's but they would probably live longer with lower temperature.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back