• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S Bandensis

Beautiful!

The first eggs I had hatched with some yolk sack still attached and the babies wouldn't eat for a couple of days. You is gonna be a daddy soon.

WOW! They are awesome pictures! - how have you got the eggs set up? did you separate them or not? have you got a small pump aimed at them? or air bubbling? - all of these things are suggestions i have read but noone knows exactly what to do i guess! - then again just look how successfull you are being so far!!!

So, GOOD LUCK!! your doing awesome! - you might not want to say how you got the eggs obviously but is it possible to - firstly, get more, and secondly get them shipped to a different country (Aus) - I would love bandensis!! Just one or two though - not for my show tank - i have newly set up a 4 foot fuge but hey i can ditch a little of the algae and there should be lots of room!!! lol -

I had almost stopped believing cephs existed at all!!! lol

Or if you dont want to organise it (and i imagine it was a bit of work!!!) Could you give me a place to start looking for a supplier? - being in a different country to the suppliers makes it almost impossible to communicate! How did you manage it?

Hi Oscar,

The eggs are currently in a floating breeding trap, and i have tilted the trap so water from the main reef system ebbs the eggs and provide fresh water. I have not seperated them, and they are in their laid state.

The eggs came from a shop who sponsors a bulletin board I moderate on. There is the chance for more definiately, but my aim is to breed myself.

I don't like the sound of shipping, although it is always a possibility. If all goes well I could look into it, if not, it may be possible that I get the name of the collector or exporter.

All early days yet, and with info I have received, I think a hatch in a couple of days can be expected.

The eggs ship well. I shipped some overnight. I also shipped a number of hatchlings the same way and there were almost no problems.

:biggrin2:

(Collin and righty are great - we all know that - lol!)

Thanks for that - if you could check it out when the next batch come around and maybe i could get something done the batch after that or whenever - im not going anywhere lol

It sounds great! i hope the hatch goes well! Have you hatched or reared cuttles before - i have very little idea what is involved so i would be interested! It sounds like you do cos you have set it up well!!! let us know how the hatch goes!!!

:lol:

I have not reared them before, so it's a steep learning curve with the help of the guys. I will be happy if just a few come through.

I am keeping a photo log of development, and will grab some videos soon too. I hope to put together a paper for tonmo, and/or a website so all can access the information.

As an update, today arms are clearly visible, and the yolk sack is decreasing in size, so a hatch sounds imminent!

God... wish me luck!

Hi Mikey, hows it going?

Just as an added bit of info, all of the Sepia officinalis that were sold via Octopets were sent through the post from the UK so that's point enough that eggs can travel well compared to juvies

Cheers

Still waiting!! Although talking to the food supplier yesterday some good news came through - they can also supply me with live river shrimp and crabs!! So no need to get my hands dirty!

Although a day at the beach is fun!!!!!!

Live food ordered! Think I have shy cuttles!

I checked one egg yesterday and opened it up. Out came a fully functioning cuttle with small yolks sack. He was about 8mm mantle length and had spiny skin. Put him in main tank and he colour flashed 100% but plain white colour otherwise.

Thoughts?

hmmm... well i dont really have thoughts seeing as i have no idea - but i suppose the move shocked it? although it is the same water right? - anyway has it dissapeared yet? lol - not to be seen for two weeks (or unless it gets really really hungry...lol)

8mm is sooo small! good luck (not small for bandensis i mean small compared to giant aussie cuttle fry)

actually i believe the giant aussie ones have small fry too they just grow quicker...funny...although the eggs are larger i think so maybe the babies are too...hmmm

any way i am drifting off! (in both senses of the word) lol - good luck and good night

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back