s. bandenesis

Craig

Cuttlefish
Registered
well things are going well and unless financial disaster strikes my tank should be ready for a cuttle by xmas, now i'll probably wait a bit after that anyway but im just testing the waters so to speak, is it at all possible to get bandenesis in the uk? and if so from who/where? i would also be ok with un-hadched ones from abroad but im not even sure that woluld be possible?

I've heard of s. bandensis eggs for sale...but don't know of anyone right now who has them as I am looking for some myself. Just curious, if you live in the Uk, wouldnt it be easier to get s. officinalis (mediterranean common cuttlefish)? Im just asking because they should be more available to you and I've heard that they are much better with being shipped then s. bandensis.

s. officinalis would be easier to get as theyre also common to all uk offshore waters but you can keep bandenesis in a tank as small as 20 gallons according to the guide elsewhere on the site, and although my tanks a bit larger than that, from what ive read on here s. officinalis needs a tank in the region of 100-150 gallons to be happy once fully grown. as for the shipping issue, thats why i'd vbe wanting them shipped as eggs, which are considerably more resilient

They're usually imported into the US as eggs, so it should theoretically be possible to find them in the UK as well. If you have an LFS that you consider to be exceptionally knowledgeable you might ask them if its on their distribution lists.

You should be advised that raising them from eggs will probably involve a lot of food, money and patience! I got mine a month old and still had a lot of trouble keeping enough mysids for them.

Dan

yeah well im living on the sea with surrounding rocky shores so im hoping i'll be able to collect amphipods and isopods in addition to mysids, im also setting up a live holding tank for food (which is why i have to wait til xmas til i buy em :smile: ) im hoping that buy then someone on here might have some they'd be willing to part with

If anybody knows of somewhere that I could buy sepia officinalis, whether its eggs, juvenile, adult, whatever...please PM me...Ive been looking everywhere...even for sepia bandensis but have had no luck so far...:frown:

Dustin P.;79991 said:
If anybody knows of somewhere that I could buy sepia officinalis, whether its eggs, juvenile, adult, whatever...please PM me...Ive been looking everywhere...even for sepia bandensis but have had no luck so far...:frown:

You do not come across officinalis often, the source I've used is in the U.K. and its a little late in the season there for eggs. S. bandensis would be your best bet they are a little more common in the pet trade. Plus, you need a big tank for officinalis with possibly a chiller. You will just have to wait and get to know what stores can get them in, they usually go quickly. I'm getting some cuttlefish in a week or two, but I know the importers here in L.A. and the exporters in bali and so was able to special order them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back