• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Rupert - O. Vulgaris 2016

DWhatley
I called the aquarium and they did not raise him from an egg, but said they purchased him from another wholesaler in California.
The Octopus digueti species looks exactly like what I had with the last octopus that was supposed to be a vulgaris, but was a dwarf I think because it did not grow much. Danny, my old octo, is the one in my profile picture. Perhaps you could look at it and see if he was a Octopus digueti
This one has much longer arms than my last one and the pictures of the Octopus digueti.
He also is not eating the hermit crabs I'm putting in there, only shrimp.
My last octopus loved hermit crabs, is it strange that he's not eating them?
Also, is there any way I could determine gender? I want it to be male because I gave it a male name, but it would be nice to know the actual gender.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
@Esther Kelley Did you journal Danny with us? Your avatar is too small to guess and I can't make it larger. I don't believe I would be able to tell a O. digueti from O. mercatoris but digueti is from Southern California and mercs are found in the Caribbean and South Atlantic so there is a good chance he was digueti.

It would be unusual to find O. vulgaris from a wholesaler in California. In general the animals they have available are found in Indonesia and typically the from the Philippines. however, if they are sourcing for an aquarium, they may offer them unusual catches to them before sending them out to retail stores. I expect this one to be very interesting and hope you will continue to journal and include photographs.

To determine sex on a live octopus you will want to observe the 3rd right arm (clockwise as you orient your eyes with the octopus'). If the arm is most often kept curled up, this is a strong sign this is a male. If not, then it will likely be female or an immature male. Here is a thread with hints and photos to help you better understand what to look for.

Others have reported success feeding hermits for some of the smaller animals but almost all of mine have ignored them. My vulgaris, however, would eat anything that moved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak