• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Rubescens can spit poisonous juices at you??

I was browsing the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary website in the tidepool section, and came across an article on the O. Rubescens. At the end of the article it mentions to be careful because they can spit poisonous juices at you. Now I admit I don't have a huge knowledge base on Rubescens as I've only kept bimacs and a couple of unknowns (which weren't Rubescens) but I've never heard of any octopus including the blue ring spitting poisonous juices? Am I just ignorant on this or is the guy that wrote this full of octo dung??

NOAA's National Ocean Service - Page Not Found

Octos do inject venom by excreting it in the hole their beak makes when they bite. This is much like when they bite a crab and "squirt" venom in the hole in the shell to paralyze and start to digest the prey. Even blue rings don't have fangs like snakes, they have a very primitive delivery system.

This is far from the outrageous statement that they can "squirt poisonous juices at you". That has to be one of the worst example of writing I have seen. It was possibly edited and summarized by someone who hasn't got a clue.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back