• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Rock Anemone Removal Tips?

brett

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hello I have a small but serious problem with the pink stringy tentacled aiptasia (Rock Anemones) in my tank. Not the stalky tentacled kind. If anyone knows effective removal methods please infrom me I have tried using animals to remove them (nudi's) but I can't seem to get that to work... PLEASE HELP! thanks you
Brett

This is always a "sticky" problem (sorry, had to write that) in ceph tanks, as most of the commercial treatments tend to terminate the octopus ! Physical removal is the best, some of the other tonmomembers have had luck using different methods, and I'm sure they will chime in.

good luck!

greg

I had a problem with them and had great success using Colin's boiling water method.

You need a syringe, which can be the kind used by diabetics or those used for glue or other crafts. Boil a pan of water, carry it in by the tank and begin filing your syringe. Stab the offender right down the middle, into the shaft and release the boiling water. You can do 5 or 6 without affecting the water temperature. I had to be extra careful, because my octo liked to help with things. Actually, this is good with two people. ONe can fill syringes and distract the octopus while the other squirts the boiling water.

This method may not kill all of them on the first pass - you may need a second session.

Nancy

Yes, that works most of the time, except when I ran into a recent pharmacy grad in Walgreens who was policing the syringes - I could tell she thought I wanted them for drugs and had made up this story about the aquarium :smile: Syringes also also available for crafts, to put a dab of glue in the right spot.
Good luck!

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back