• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Robyn - Feeding Nautilus

mondhams

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi again
Sorry for asking so many question but, i've been looking through many threads Nautilus related and I saw the picture of Robyn's nautilus that she kept and their shells looks very healthy, even heathier than most aquariums I've been to!

Do you know that she has clean them?
What is the super/best of the best diets for them(I'm willing to invest)?
How many time exactly do I have to feed them?
How to keep there shells healthy like her nautilus?
I know their life span is like 20 years but in captive Robyn said that the longest that she ever kept one alive is 1 one year. Is this true? I really hope they could live longer.

And don't worry, I haven't got one yet, I'm cycling my aquarium and doing as much research as I can and it turns out they sell them for about $50 -$70 now at the shop in Thailand.

One last question I promise, How do you choose the Nautilus looking at them in the shops, I guess you choose the most active one and the one that can change their range in buoyancy because I heard that some of the nautilus through the process of bringing them to the shop could affect their buoyancy. Do you have any more yips when you choose your please help?

Please if not for me for the nautilus I might buy

Best Regards,
Nammond

Wow, I totally missed this one the first time around..

Do you know that she has clean them? No cleaning, sometimes the shells come cleaner than others. I don't handle them excessively.

What is the super/best of the best diets for them(I'm willing to invest)? I fed mine in whole, uncooked, unpeeled shrimp. Molted shells of crustaceans are a large part of their natural diet, so I think this is a good food source.
How many time exactly do I have to feed them? It depends on the size of the animal and the size of the food. I fed mine one shrimp every four days.
How to keep there shells healthy like her nautilus? The biggest factor I can identify here is water quality - those animals are in an open-seawater system (water is pumped in from the sea, goes through the tank and out the other side). Also, don't overfeed.
I know their life span is like 20 years but in captive Robyn said that the longest that she ever kept one alive is 1 one year. Is this true? I really hope they could live longer. Again, water quality is key. In open seawater I've had them alive for 2 years or more. In a closed system, about 18 months seems to be the limit.

As for picking healthy ones from a store, I get mine from a commercial supplier so I don't really get to pick and choose. However, I would say, get the ones who regulate their buoyancy normally (not floating or sunk the whole time), and ones who seem to have full control of their tentacles. Tentacles dangling from the front of the hood and not moving is a very bad sign.

Again, sorry I didn't reply the first time around. Good luck with your tank set up.

Thank you so much for answering all the questions, I have wwaiting for so long.:smile:

Yes, I am getting a 150 litres tank tall and I am thinking of buying the shrimp fresh from the market - but i'm not sure that if this is suitable because they could be dirty but they deliver seafood fresh almost everyday near where I live so...

Thank you so much again Robyn for the answers - I thought noone was going to reply:eek2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back