• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

RO/DI water

If push comes to shove what about goin over the existing silicone with new?? Only an idea but if you manage to completely seal over the old with new then its water tight and none should get through.

ok your not guaranteed but you are limiting the possible damage.

Does anyone reckon the copper would migrate through the new :?:

My tank has got copper handles on the doors and lid, even thou it was designed for a reef. What knob-shiner the bloke was who designed that!!!

ON the RO/DI ive got a mate who has gone nuts and has a 9 stage filter doin both RO and DI and his water is purer that pure puree. If I ever get my tank up an goin thats were I plan to get mine from. But the point I wanted to make was that he swears by the minimum of a 4 stage filter.

Prob why you see so many 3 stage on ebay. Any thoughts :?:

If you were to get one Naomi&Joe you can easily fix in a self tappin tap to your cold water pipe under the kitchen sink and run a little pipe out from there to create it. Easy he says :lol:

Naomi&Joe

Blue Ring
Registered
Regarding the copper question.... we thought about siliconing over, but my thoughts are that if the copper has been absorbed into the old silicon, then if we re-silicon the copper will eventually leech out into the new silicon, and so into the water???

So whilst we could have tested for copper to our hearts content before putting an octo in, after a while there could be copper getting back into the water, and knowing my luck this would co-incide with having just put Octo in. Any thoughts on this anyone????

As for the RO/DI thing... we will definitely go with one or the other!!!! Just a question of whether we get an RO unit with deioniser (yep Scouse reckon your ebay theory is correct - but also see WWW.RO-MAN.COM), or a DI unit, or just buy in DI water....

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
i also dissagree with Dr Ron's ramblings but i do that a lot these days :smile: LOL

The best example of copper in a well washed system causing a problem was by Dr Roy Caldwell. He had major problems with a set up and it was traced back to a copper treatment in the distant past.

There is only one way to make sure that there is no copper and that is to get a new tank. There are no guarantees otherwise.

Its also worth noting that RO units beed replacement catridges from time to time and an eBay one may need new ones?

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I just buy RO water...half the time, the store doesn't even charge me at all since I am in and out of there so often ! (one reason why shopping at a lfs really pays off...)

Naomi&Joe

Blue Ring
Registered
So, back to the copper question...

We have got tank up and running, and have had polyfilter (Underworld products) in for a week. It shows no trace of copper at all. We have tested for Cu using Salifert test kit - which I have to say does not go overboard on the instructions/explanation/rationale side of things to say the least - and this is also showing completely clear.

We are kind of thinking that copper in this particular tank is not a problem....

Any thoughts people? Need to know cos if it's ok then we will go and buy more live rock v soon... :smile:

Naomi&Joe

Latest Posts