• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ro/DI unit...

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
G'day all

Was just wondering what you all thought of this RO/DI Unit? It is called a 'Kent Marine Maxxima RO/DI Unit' - 'Maxxima RO/DI Unit 50 gpd' has anyone ever had any experience with these type of RO/DI unit ?

Cheers

The biggest differences that I can see (outside of price) in the RO/DI units is the GPD and I am not sure what makes this difference (I have been told this is the RO filter). The most important aspect of GPD is the input pressure from your water supply. I have a 120 GPD unit (Kent makes one as well) but it only produces about 30 GPD at 60 psi (the water pressure at my house). I bought the unit, including backflush for under $150 and it brings my water (starting at 34 ppm) down to about 3 ppm on my TDS (total desolved solids) meter. Thales says I should be at 0 ppm after filtration but GA mud gets through the RO filter (as evidenced by my exposed RO in a prior post) even after prefiltering all the house water (which may account for only having 60 psi) before it hits the three prefilters for the RO unit.

My maxxima works great, but there are alot of alternatives that are made just as well for less. I dont pay any attention to GPD as most taps only put out around 30-60 gpd max....which is plenty for most people.

D, a neat trick I've been told to use on RO/DI's to increase their production is to use an extra long hose from the water supply. Coil it, put it in a bucket with a heater set to mid-70's. Apparently the warmer the water going in, the quicker it comes out the other side. About to find out.. ordered my own 100gpd unit, should be here within the next week.

Animal Mother;124365 said:
ordered my own 100gpd unit, should be here within the next week.

I was going to ask if you were finally going to get your own RO/DI for the new tank room. I just could not imagine you would not as filling the tanks for the first time would make it worth getting :biggrin2:

Let me know if your warm water trick works and how much difference it makes. If you see a major difference using the heated line trick, I could rig up something with those marvelous connectors to add a looped cable when I am redoing a tank (no more tanks, upgrades only! :silenced:)

Most times, my system is adequate as long as I keep the holding tank, mixing bucket and fresh water bucket filled. If I had more room :roll: for a larger holding or mixing tank it would be fine (or if I did water changes twice weekly in stead of all tanks on the weekends :hmm:). What I would really like to have is that Marineland salt mixer that I have seen on Drs. Foster and Smith but, even if I could afford it, I would have to remove the upstairs heat unit to be able to fit it into my fish water area :twisted:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back