• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

RO/DI System needed?

RCLasley

Cuttlefish
Registered
We have a local 'watermill station' a few minuets from our house that sells water very inexpensively labeled "virus, bacteria, arsenic, nitrates, and more free". All homes in our area run on wells so I was thinking about getting our tank started with this water. My question is- if I used this water would I still need a RO/DI system?

pkilian

Vampyroteuthis
Staff member
I don't think you would. I would treat the water with dechlorinating drops before you used it in a system but it *should* be okay to use. Maybe do a test with a non-ceph aquarium first. I don't have much experience using non-seawater in tanks.

RCLasley

Cuttlefish
Registered
I don't think you would. I would treat the water with dechlorinating drops before you used it in a system but it *should* be okay to use. Maybe do a test with a non-ceph aquarium first. I don't have much experience using non-seawater in tanks.
It would be for a saltwater tank for a Bimac. I was thinking this may be better quality base water to mix the salt in? It would defiantly be more purified than the well water we have.

Latest Posts