[Octopus]: Ripley - Abdopus sp My 'cephalopodic' journey-a beginner's progressive notes

Thank you that was what I needed to know.
So I could look into ordering the brittle star at this time or would the hermits be a better recommended next step-In regards to one or the other?

I did amazingly narrow down my hermit choice for the tank...well sorta cheated. I asked KP aquatics for a recommendation and they had one for me. LOL That made it way easier.

Hermits are the hardiest and can actually be fun to watch. Brittle stars are pretty reclusive but I have found the reds (actually orange) to be a bit odd in that IF I have an octopus in the tank, it is often out during the day but when there is no octopus, it seems to hide most of the time. Serpent stars seem to be less hardy than the brittles.

Perfect!
I believe that helps me with knowing what to do for my next step. :plectrono
I bet they are entertaining. But then for me I am easily happy with the little things. For example the small snail in one of my freshwater tanks is a little character. He is fun.

Found a small part to one of the hosing connectors that has a very subtle drip. What is recommended for sealant to keep it from dripping?- it luckily falls into the Sump.

Where is the leak (as in what interface and the materials of the interface)? If it at the bulkhead (the plastic part that screws together through a hole in the glass) then often silicone is the best answer (sometimes simply tightening the bulkhead works but it will likely need to be checked often and care must be taken not to crack the glass with too much torque). If the leak is somewhere else, you will need to give more details.

The leak is right where one of the plastic pvc piping goes into the tank's back. It has silicone that is holding it in so I'm guessing it just needs a little more silicone to cover up a small part of it. Being new to silicone-is there a brand that would work best or would the simple brand any pet store carry work?

You want silicone WITHOUT ammonia as a solvent. Anything marked "aquarium" should be ammonia free (I even found some at Home Depot) but be sure to read the solvent information.

salttank.jpg
The current status look to the tank. Added a few soft corals and a few small pieces of live rock to help with the live rock due to some issues with the original live rock being questionable if it was dried out too much. (had issues with having to keep it but my tank was not ready. So even though I tried to keep it moist and ready it wasn't quite as healthy as I'd like. I was given some healthy live rock to help reseed it. Seems to be making a big difference in the tank.)
Also added 2 smaller snails to help start cleaning the glass. I have some hermit crabs on order and will be hopefully adding them next as I am starting to see algae building up on the rocks. Then I am thinking after a few more weeks and some water changes maybe looking into a red bristle star.

You will want to add more live rock next. You need enough to create places to live for your octopus as well as more substrate for bacteria. From the visual, I would say you need to double what you have now.

Good to hear-I was wondering about that and again mixed things were told to me over that topic. So glad for this account. LOL

Rock wise-I do have rock in the lower tank so that will help on some of the bacteria aspect but can add more. As for the comfort of the octopus-is it best to have med to large rocks added or better to have smaller sized?
Also what about adding half a coconut later for them to hide in? This was something I was debating on if it would work or not on top of everything else.

Your rock needs to form a series of nooks and crannies (caves) for the octo to use as a den. The configuration needs to be stable so size is more a function of stability than large or small. For a dwarf, a cluster of giant purple barnacles (link is not a vendor recommendation but offered as an example) often makes a nice set of dens.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back