• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

RIP Peter Benchley

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
cthulhu77 said:
From cover to cover? Only those two. Beast was tossed into the circular recycling bin. I did almost make it through Shark Trouble, or whatever it was named...
Lots of hack writers make quite good reading...William Murphy, Stephen King, etc. make up a large percentage of my library, and I enjoy opening the books over and over again. Jaws certainly falls into that category, as it is entertaining, if not a thinly veiled attempt at ripping off Moby Dick. Beast was utter garbage. The only book worse than that was a monstrosity called Meg that came out a few years back...uggh. Horriffic ! (don't know who wrote that one, but it was truly awful )

Steve Alten

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Ah! I doubt they will ask me to speak at his eulogy, either... I remember being so wound up when it came out...finally, a book about one of the most fascinating animals to swim in the ocean. The look of pure horror on my face by page twenty must have been enough to cast stones (not that it is that good at any rate, LOL ) !

mosogama

Blue Ring
Registered
Have a read of Peter Benchley's "The Girl of the Sea of Cortez" and "Rummies", I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak