[Octopus]: Rinaldo - O. Hummelincki Meet my new octopus!!!

With Onn (getting a bit long in the tooth at 9 months in the tank), I have recently tried skinned, deboned pieces of salmon. Not a great choice sustainably but my local Publix will cut me a 1" by 6" strip at the seafood counter (laughing at the purchase) and it seems to be successfully replacing the tougher shrimp that he has started rejecting. Be very careful to remove any bones as there have been reports of octopuses found with fish bones impaled in the brain and some of the bones I have found would seem up to the task.

A lot of the octos I've kept aren't that into snails, and seem to only eat them when there's nothing else in the tank to eat. Abe has taken a liking to shrimp tails (frozen from the store) in addition to any hermit crabs I give him. He'll pig out on hermits, but he seems to like having to pick the shrimp out of the tail better than if I give him a piece of anything "ready to eat." I've never kept a Hummelincki, though, maybe they like snails more than the abdopus seem to.

20131126_170915.jpg Well.......i have a very angry rinaldo......i had a weak moment and ordered what i thought was a nickle sized vulgaris...what i got was a tennis ball sized one......so what was to house a tiny baby octopus now has a pissed off rinaldo and the new one is still sitting in the jar he shipped in looking like O'briareus.........I think......

Did you get Tom's other octo? I got a little guy last Tuesday, too. It came DOA, it wasn't packed in a styrofoam box and the water was very cold when it got her. Tom will give me credit, and will pack the next one in styro!!! He mentioned that the second one arrived alive but unhappy!

Hope Rinaldo is ok!

Hi everyone. The new one lasted a few days and passed away. I had a feeling as his condition was very stressed upon arrival. Tom is crediting me for one also. Rinaldo has run of the tank again but still rather skittish. He has amazing eyespots with the gold and royal blue. Have not had much success with photos as i dont want to freak him but in this shot u can see how large the spots are!

Attachments

• 20131215_155931.jpg
    20131215_155931.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 117
Rinaldo is doing really well. He is starting to watch us when we don't know he's out but when we approach the tank, he retreats. Has doubled in size. Awesome color changes, but his norm is the black flat blob when he is discovered. My pictures have been challenged as my light is dim on the tank and I do not want to freak out Rinaldo with flashing him as he is very wary of us. I think he's discovered I am the food Goddess though as he does linger out longer if it's me approaching!

Attachments

• 20131220_172628_resized.jpg
    20131220_172628_resized.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 20131225_075844_LLS_resized.jpg
    20131225_075844_LLS_resized.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 128
I know what you mean about wanting to get a good shot without irritating the octopus. The last thing you want to do is train it to hide when it sees the camera coming! Abe got good at finding all the corners in my tank where I couldn't get a good shot, then seemed to spend his last two weeks in them! Nice shot of Rinaldo in the glass!

Did you receive a replacement octopus from Tom? I decided to wait for a few months because Rinaldo is really getting interested in us and I do not want to stress him like I did when I received the one that passed away. My bedroom tank has a baby clown, jawfish and a puffer who my children gave me last March for my birthday so I do not want to stress them out either! Anyway curious to hear if you got another.

I did get another, but it only lasted a week. For some reason, I have not ever had luck acclimating the littler guys that I get from Tom. It's really sad and frustrating for me!!! The water quality is fine, I can put them in the same tank that was super successful with an adult octo, then only get a week if I'm lucky with the little ones. Not sure what I can do to finally get a little guy and have it live for a long time with me...

I decided to wait till the warmer weather. One briairius I got from. Tom lasted for 13 months. One of the things I changed with delivery was having the package held at the local FedEx. I think this helped with the stress.

I emailed with Tom this afternoon- he told me only 2 of the last little octos 8 he's shipped has survived. He's thinking of not shipping them because of that… I've never had problems with the bigger ones I've gotten, but not once had luck with the really small ones. Lucky for me, he's got a bigger one he's holding for me until after the holidays. I will take your advice and try to find the right local FedEx office to hold it at. The one closest to me can't receive live animals, and they almost sent an octo back a couple of years ago! Riding around in the back of a cold truck all day can't be good for them!

Rinaldo is denning...Is residing in the castle in the front of the tank with any and everything as his door. Yesterday, she must have been curious as to the commotion under her tank as Kevin and I happened to look in her tank to see the door was clear and she was sitting in the doorway watching. I took a trip for the weekend to Lancaster and came back with not one but two jawfish, a dusky and a huge banded Jaw and a new Eheim. Took about 3 hours of comical alterations as I had to revamp my 15 gallon crab tank, hook up a new Eheim with filter material from the one. This involved a huge crash as I was working in the living room. My bedroom dripping operation crashed to the floor. In runs human almost slipping on puddle of water on the floor frantically looking for Dusky who was located in the closet and actually bit me as I rescued him and threw him into the tank. Seems to be adjusting really well despite the abuse. Anyway will try later to get a picture to post of the fortress in front of the castle.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back