[Octopus]: Rinaldo - O. Hummelincki Meet my new octopus!!!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Day 6.....Last night my son...Kevin informed me he came home around 2pm and the nameless octopus....was plastered to the front of the tank....I'm envious....up at 5:30am this morn.....still no sighting.....huge sigh.....My feeder crabs are doing wonderfully though. I set them up in a 15 long with a little bubble filter and discovered I can train them to feed in the front corner of the tank with shrimp pellets! They absolutely love them and the food does not foul the tank! I'm down to 7 crabs so need to buy more. Debating whether to make another trip to That Pet Place or send daughter of my significant other who is residing in our home right now in South Carolina to priority mail up some fiddlers. Have not tried this before but also the bait shops down there sell live large shrimp. hmmmmm....

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The shrimp probably would not make it but you can try adding "shrimp buddies" to the bag (should be available at the bait shop) and see what happens. If they almost make it you can freeze them :roll:. Crabs should do fine with just enough water to cover them fully and lots of air space. Be sure she double bags everything and loops the rubber band tightly around the top then folds the top over and rubber bands it again.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Day 12....Names Rinaldo......he has an attitude!!! I had a sighting over the weekend! The pic is a tad blurry but definite!!! He does not seem to know how to eat snails. I went collecting and came back with mud snails and another type plus hit the bait shop and bought a dozen green crabs. Seems to come out during the day. I was watching hockey and noticed movement on the front of the tank. By the time I realized it was him he had retreated to the side. He was black at first, obviously hungry so I put in a fiddler which disappeared almost immediately. 20131116_203943.jpg

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
With Onn (getting a bit long in the tooth at 9 months in the tank), I have recently tried skinned, deboned pieces of salmon. Not a great choice sustainably but my local Publix will cut me a 1" by 6" strip at the seafood counter (laughing at the purchase) and it seems to be successfully replacing the tougher shrimp that he has started rejecting. Be very careful to remove any bones as there have been reports of octopuses found with fish bones impaled in the brain and some of the bones I have found would seem up to the task.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
A lot of the octos I've kept aren't that into snails, and seem to only eat them when there's nothing else in the tank to eat. Abe has taken a liking to shrimp tails (frozen from the store) in addition to any hermit crabs I give him. He'll pig out on hermits, but he seems to like having to pick the shrimp out of the tail better than if I give him a piece of anything "ready to eat." I've never kept a Hummelincki, though, maybe they like snails more than the abdopus seem to.

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
20131126_170915.jpg Well.......i have a very angry rinaldo......i had a weak moment and ordered what i thought was a nickle sized vulgaris...what i got was a tennis ball sized one......so what was to house a tiny baby octopus now has a pissed off rinaldo and the new one is still sitting in the jar he shipped in looking like O'briareus.........I think......

Latest Posts