• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Rex/Dux?

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Yo, thanks for that Geoff. That's a great link to Megalodon. It's amazing to think that this creature is known from the teeth alone. What an amazing animal.

I'd love to read that BBC Wildlife magazine article. I really should buy it more often - it's a very good magazine.

Anyway, as to the origin of the sperm whale I am aware there has been some debate about this. Apparently a recent theory put forward by Milinkovitch (1995) has suggested upon molecular studies that the sperm whale diverged from the mysticetes about 25 mya during the late Oligocene. Yet prior to this publication it was assumed, on morphology alone, that it was classified as an odontocete.

I can give you the reference of the article if you like. I have not read it, and I'm sure I would not understand most of it if I did, but I'm sure you could find a copy in the Carnagie!

ubiquity

Blue Ring
Registered
man oh man,..you guys are great!
i can tell i'm gonna learn alot around here.
thanks and keep that good stuff coming!

GeoffC

Cuttlefish
Registered
You're welcome Ubiquity,

Thanks Phil, I think the report I half remembered was based on that article. That was the gist of the theory that got reported anyway.

It's actually quite interesting to consider what was going on in the period between the late Cretaceous and the appearance of whales. I guess there must be at least 15 million years there between the extiction of sea reptiles and the earliest whales...

Cheers, Geoff (soon not to be in Pittsburgh PA... :frown: )

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Speaking of fossil whales, this just in:

700,000 year old Humpback Whale discovery:

Whale fossil

Nice, though it might take up a bit too much room in the lounge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak