RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY: deep-sea fish and food webs, Dec 2003

Way to go TPOTH!

I'll have some info up soon, I've just about finished processing and entering the data (approx 600 rattails have been dissected by myself so far).

Yeah!

Re: Marlin (Update)

So the dear fish finally made its way to the AUT. And no, it doesn't smell as bad as Master O would have us believe. It's "just" the smell of rotten fish .. can I spell desensitise right? :cool2:

So last evening, I get a ride all the way to Master O's garden where the fish has been waiting and polluting the local neighbourhood with noxious fumes that forced people to keep their windows closed despite the scorching heat of the past few days. Anyway, it's dark when we get there... and i suppose that was a blessing because I could quite see the writhing of the mass of maggots (that came after...). We load the container (with no lid!) into the 4x4 along with another (empty) container reclaimed from filfthy squid bits in formalin :lol:

The drive is uneventful, we discuss (once Master O's retching has subsided) about the posibility of being stopped by the cops and how far in our story we can go until the collapse from the fumes....

The arrival at the AUT is worthy of the best spy movies, with all the stealth one (or two, as the case may be) can muster while unloading a huge barrel full of rotting fish bits, we sneak into the building... right under the nose of classes of engineers... (won't know what hit them..)

Safe inside our beloved wetlab, I proceed to clean up the different body parts, washing away a whole generation of maggots and assorted squirmy things. Master O volunteers for water duty.. anything to get out of the lab really. Despite trying real hard, i can't quite block the sink but that's ok, i guess. There's always next time. I'm hoo-ing and aaaah-ing at the amazing bone structure and promptly throw the bits in the chemical bath waiting beside me. A liitle bit a scavenging nets me a three-panels lids (read: three bits of wodd that fit reasonnably well) and the marlin reaches its home for the coming week or so.

My brain loaded with endorphins (what can i say? i love science), i'm dropped off, dimly aware that my aura (read: tangible smell armor) will protect me from anything that goes bump in the night (yeah.. even drunken students) until I can get picked up... off to a very very very long shower and a night outside :sad: (the people i live with still have a sense of smell unfortunately).

Anyhow, just adding a little pic of the beast (couldn't get Master O so the fish will have to do).
And if some people are into maggots (takes all sorts...), i have a neat video :wink: freaks

TPOTH
*unclean! unclean! uncleeeean!*

Marlin story II: This time it's personal!

[apologies in advance for the usual non-ceph content]
So here is why i'm antagonising all of my collegues, maintenance crew, cleaners and random strangers who make the mistake of wandering by.
I'm slowly removing bones from the bath of nasty chemicals, giving them a good scrub before "sanitising" them (the exact meaning of "sanitising" is for the court to decide). The spine is still missing two vertebrae (found them today... *grumbles*). The ones i have here have been put in a rough order (i.e. "don't kill me if you see a mistake") as I need the last ones and to refer to pictures I took prior to disarticulation.

Then comes the rather interesting task of identifying the different bones and working out where they fit... a loooong way to go :biggrin2:

I can only point out the sclerotic capsules, bony structures around the eyeballs (obviously rotted away a while ago). Waaay cool, dude!

The skull (the really cool part) is waiting for me to find a container big enough to "sanitise" it. Then comes the battery of spines, rays and other tiny bones that aren't referenced anywhere :lol:

What can i say? I like my work... even if it means everybody gets to hate me :razz:

Stay tuned for more updates... (provided I don't get killed...)

TPOTH

Marlin Story III: The Headless Fish of Doom

For those who care. Whaddaya mean "just me"?
*shrugs*
Anyhow, finally got all the bones out of the chemical soup (gotta to love something that can rot flesh). Still no sign of an adequate container that could house the skull and the acetone. Gonna be some DIY job in the end, if you want something done right and all that. :cool2:

Now looking into techniques to rebuild it all. I was told that superglue isn't going to cut it there. Shame. :sad:

Fun fun

TPOTH

Hi TPOTH,

Impresssssive skeleton! you're right tho' superglue doesn't work. We rearticulated a Hector's Dolphin Skeleton and the glue just didn't stick. So we tried Araldite which seemed to work so we hung the skeleton over the touch screen computer in the foyer.......so now unsuspecting visitors occasionally get the odd rib or pectoral girdle landing on their heads as the glue lets go...... :twisted:

We're going to try wire next! we have to fix our dolphin .....then just for fun we have a seal skeleton to articulate!!! :hmm:

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back