RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY: comparative study of palatine teeth

Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! This was the reason for taking those pics!! Some structures reported in the literature are not true radular teeth.

If the beak and beak musculature was removed, where were they in the first place?

(buccal mass pic)

Where exactly are the things you were talking about?

Clueless and loving it,
Squidman

As to that hole-drilling octo, would that help with guiding or distributing chemicals?
Or maybe burrowing holes?

Clueless, ever so clueless,

Squidman

I'll be starting a paleontology masters next fall. There's about a 50/50 chance I'll get into one of the good vertebrate programs I'm applying to, otherwise I would probably stay here at the University of Wisconsin and do an invert project. The person I would be working with here has done considerable work on evolutionary rates in neogene gastropods. A project like this would be more suitable for me if it could focus more on the ~Quaternary evolutionary history, with conclusions more about evolutionary tempo and mode rather than just the systematics. I imagine such a project would require your proposed study to already be done, however.

Dan

Not sure why a post says 'artic', but I guess that it is just one of those typos that creeps in (we're all guilty of it ... the mind plays games on us). Having said this, there is (I recall) at least one instance of a sperm whale that stranded in the northern Pacific containing Mesonychoteuthis beaks in its stomach. Someone, somewhere (details escape me) postulated that Mesonychoteuthis could also occur in Arctic waters.

It all depends on how long the beaks are retained in the stomachs of the whales, whether they are really (entirely) regurgitated every couple of days, or perhaps retained for longer periods. There's also the possibility that someone mistook beaks of Galiteuthis, another giant cranchiid squid, for Mesonychoteuthis. However, I'll not question the authority of anyone else (the person who identified the beaks), because I am in no position to challenge the identification (having not seen, and unlikely ever to see the beaks in question ... unless I go into super sleuth mode).

Hmmmmm. Been a while since I played squid detective; perhaps this would be an interesting challenge.

Squid Detective hm....
And what's Sepiotenthis lessoniana? The poeple who work in the local theme park say that the squid they keep are Sepiotenthis lessoniana, any info on that?

Ja, but check the spelling - tiz Sepioteuthis. There's quite a bit on info on S. lessoniana culture out there, but this puppy hatches at a mantle length nearly twice that of S. australis (the species we're currently keeping), and because of this they're easier to keep live (you don't have to procure as small a prey for the hatchlings/paralarvae). I'll track the reference down shortly (a book, either on S. lessoniana or S. sepiodea), although most of my literature on this genus has been pirated by one of either Felipe or Jason (both of whom will be back in force from Feb 14 onwards).

chrono_war01 said:
Squid Detective hm....
....The poeple who work in the local theme park say that the squid they keep are Sepiotenthis lessoniana, any info on that?

Can you tell me more about this 'theme park' (as in its name, whether they have live squid on display right now, when they last had them on display ... any info would be appreciated). We had a post last year regarding locations where live squid were on public display (not in a research lab), and drew a complete blank (as in nobody knew anywhere where they could see them; you might have stumbled on something very important!!).

Yes, it's in HK. It's called Ocean Park where it has a large atoll reef thingie aquarium, a display for sea turtles, rays, cuttles, squid, and octos. Also there's a whole building dedicated to sharks and rays, most impressive since they also mange bird zoos, pandas, goldfishes and rides. But I think it's going to get overrun soon because of the new DisneyLand :sad:

Sorry, but I kinda wanted to keep things seperate

Q:I have heard that live squid is very hard to keep, but I see them on the Atoll Reef Aquarium display, would you be so kind to tell me do you change a new batch or you have a secret way of keeping them?

A:biggrin2:ear Eric,

Thank you for your email and interest in our aquarium animals.

Our sources of the squid on display including :-
1) Captive breeding
2) Buying squid from local fisherman
3) Collecting from the field

The so-called secret is right food and suitable environment --- Live Mysis anddarkened environment of the holding tank in order to prevent the new born from colliding with the surrounding.

Q:I would also like to know how long the squid would survive in the water tank. Also, which species do you display, or do you display random species you could find? Do the squid feed on live Mysis all their lives or do they change their diet as they grow up?

A:Life span varies amongst different species. With Sepiotenthis lessoniana which we keep, breed and display in exhibit, life span is around a year or less in captivity. Apart from Mysis, we vary their diets and feed different kinds of shrimps and fishes according to their needs as they grow.
Hope the above information helps.

From Ocean Park.
Hope the above information helps.

Magic stuff Eric; why don't you write back, thank them very much for their help, and then ask them what shape tank they have (for keeping the little fellas alive). You could also add, what sort of survisorship do they have when rearing these things. There is actually quite a bit of literature out there regarding S. lessoniana culture - many papers in the office.

I'm just waiting for their poeple to cool down since they sometimes get hyped about reveling secrets :lol: . They opened my e-mail and replyed after 2 weeks. What's survisorship? Definition?

Hwere's the e-mail if someome wants to contact them personally:
[email protected]
just don't say who gave them this address.

chrono_war01 said:
Wish I could help. Doesn't Messie live in the ANTarctic? Why does a post say artic? :confused:

Yes, ANTartic, bad habbit, I use artic to refer to either poll. Sort of like how people call gyroplanes 'gyrocopters' and so forth, annoying to people who know they are not the same.

Who knows, maybe they migrate :mrgreen:

Steve,

Where would I go to find info on who ID's the beaks (from the whale) and where he/she worked?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back