(Renamed) Kat out on MBARI's Western Flyer

I also re-attached them so hopefully one of those works. Here are a couple from today, all the same specimen of Galiteuthis caught at about 1075m (!!!), ML about 120mm. Today we also saw Histioteuthis dolfleini and Octopoteuthis deletron, but I didn't get a chance to photograph them because the Aquarium folks spirited them straight off into the dark fridge to try keeping them alive a while! They were gorgeous though :shock:

Attachments

• conv_300915.jpg
    conv_300915.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 127
  • conv_300916.jpg
    conv_300916.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 93
  • conv_300917.jpg
    conv_300917.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 120
They look more like dramatic glass sculptures than live animals. Have any of the aquariums been able to keep the deep sea squid in captivity?

Well, without spilling too many beans, the Monterey Aquarium is planning an all-ceph exhibition in about a year, which will hopefully include some fairly non-standard species :wink:

Here are a couple more. They're all Galiteuthis and all from yesterday--we saw some cool stuff today (more Octopoteuthis, Chiroteuthis, Galiteuthis, Taonius) but I didn't get the chance to photograph any of it in the lab. We also saw some adorable baby Octopus rubescens last night, which the MBA people are taking good care of :smile:

Attachments

• conv_300918.jpg
    conv_300918.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 89
  • conv_300919.jpg
    conv_300919.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 105
  • conv_300920.jpg
    conv_300920.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 106
OK, it's official. I'm stowing away on this ship and never leaving. This morning we saw a brooding Gonatus at 1600m, waving her inky egg sheet gently as she floated along. We got a very good look at her and were even able to zoom in on the eggs--we could see eye spots! These images are screen grabs from my little video camera, which was filming the live feed on screen, so they're not great quality, but you'll get the idea!

Attachments

• conv_300925.jpg
    conv_300925.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 118
  • conv_300926.jpg
    conv_300926.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 95
  • conv_300927.jpg
    conv_300927.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_300928.jpg
    conv_300928.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 105
Tintenfisch;197773 said:
OK, it's official. I'm stowing away on this ship and never leaving. This morning we saw a brooding Gonatus at 1600m, waving her inky egg sheet gently as she floated along. We got a very good look at her and were even able to zoom in on the eggs--we could see eye spots! These images are screen grabs from my little video camera, which was filming the live feed on screen, so they're not great quality, but you'll get the idea!

Amazing, I love this!

Thanks to the TONMO FB page, I got a PM there from John Bowers, offering the following:

FYI - Similar brooding also seen off northern Japan... The Japanese egg brooder is _Gonatus madokai_. Brooding has also been reported of California in _Gonatus onyx_. There are likely other brooding gonatids out there in the deep sea.

Cover photo and access to paper available here: http://www.biolbull.org/content/223/3.cover-expansion (Subscription required, but available for free one year after publication)

Oh cool. I was familiar with Seibel et al.'s observations on G. onyx (and of course everyone's favorite video), but didn't realize it had been documented for other species. Makes sense that if one does it, others in the genus will too, though. So very cool!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back