(Renamed) Kat out on MBARI's Western Flyer

Also, Denise, both the Galiteuthis and the Taonius are fairly developed, and I would say (Kat, please correct me if I am wrong) that they are probably not THAT tiny. Am I accurate Kat? The Taonius looks like it would easily be over 100 mm mantle length. They get pretty large.

DWhatley;197711 said:
Kat, can you give a layman approximation of size? I assume there are tiny but how tiny?

Sorry, D, my oversight -- I've gone back and added sizes into the posts. Not all that tiny actually! The ones we get in the nets are small because the larger ones are good at avoiding, but the ones we see down deep in situ are much bigger. Here are a couple more photos from yesterday: (1) Same Taonius, (2), same Galiteuthis, (3) same Chiroteuthis.

Aaron, in the live cranchiids you can see the blue blood being pumped around the body. It's absolutely amazing! And I'll be bringing the larval Taonius back, so you can look at their fins to your heart's content :wink:

Attachments

• conv_300912.jpg
    conv_300912.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 178
  • conv_300913.jpg
    conv_300913.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 149
  • conv_300914.jpg
    conv_300914.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 133
Tintenfisch;197725 said:
Sorry, D, my oversight -- I've gone back and added sizes into the posts. Not all that tiny actually! The ones we get in the nets are small because the larger ones are good at avoiding, but the ones we see down deep in situ are much bigger. Here are a couple more photos from yesterday: (1) Same Taonius, (2), same Galiteuthis, (3) same Chiroteuthis.

Aaron, in the live cranchiids you can see the blue blood being pumped around the body. It's absolutely amazing! And I'll be bringing the larval Taonius back, so you can look at their fins to your heart's content :wink:

:shock:

:notworth: Thank you Tintenfisch!

Sometimes when the pictures don't show up properly you can refresh the screen but I am not getting them at all. I tried editing (with a cancel) on the post and the bb text looks correct but it can't find the pictures.

I wonder if the duplicate post (the quoted reference) has anything to do with it? I am going to try an edit and remove the attachments from the quote to see if it helps any.

Nope, they still didn't show so I put the quote back to the original form.

Well, I can see them. I've been seeing them all the live-long day. I think you guys were just so stunned by what you saw that your brains turned into pyroclastic flows.

:twocents:

Clem

Solution but no cause. Log out and then back in. The pictures on the original post should now show up (they still don't show on the quoted post at the top of this page though). I am not sure if this is a staff only issue or something else but it seems to cure the immediate problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back