(Renamed) Kat out on MBARI's Western Flyer

We noticed that too; it's not bumping against the camera dome, even though it looks like it. It's just... wrinkly. Maybe the epidermis is attached at the apex but very loose over the rest of the mantle, so that sometimes the excess bunches at the tip (like raising your eyebrows, to anthropomorphize hugely).

Here are a couple of nice photos of Chiroteuthis calyx from today too.

Attachments

• conv_300935.jpg
    conv_300935.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 109
  • conv_300936.jpg
    conv_300936.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 106
  • conv_300937.jpg
    conv_300937.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 143
Wow! I love this thread - amazing photos of some really amazing animals... I am jealous! But so grateful for the vicarious tour - thanks so much for updating with your new finds!

Hi guys, back on land now but still processing some of the photos and videos from the trip. My Photoshop is currently having a snit so the photo effort is a little stymied but in the meantime here's a nice little Octopus rubescens we caught in one of the evening trawls. There were about four in total and the MBA took them back for hopeful rearing.

Attachments

• conv_300964.jpg
    conv_300964.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 98
  • conv_300965.jpg
    conv_300965.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 106

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back