Regurgitate

well, they expel through their siphon, but not sure if that's what you're looking for. back out through their beak? hmm, not sure I've ever heard of that. seems plausible! Anyone ever experience this?

I just found in an article by Vallon et al. (2016, p. 10-11) under their ethological trace fossil category: digestichnia the statement, that also some molluscs including cephalopods, bivalves, and gastropods can produce regurgitates, i.e. they can vomit indigestible food particles. Can anyone here confirm these observation, because the authors do not provide additional references.

I am rather inclined to assume that cephalopods could not vomit, because all that matter has to pass through their brains. Any comment is highly appreciated

full reference: Vallon, L., Rindsberg, A.K., Bromley, R.G. 2016. An updated classification of animal behaviour preserved in substrates. Geodinamica Acta, 28: 5-20. (link: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09853111.2015.1065306)

we speculate they can here:

Sykes, A.V., Almansa, E., Ponte, G., Cooke, G. and Andrews, P., 2020. Can cephalopods vomit? Hypothesis based on a review of circumstantial evidence and preliminary experimental observations. Frontiers in Physiology, 11, p.765.
Dr. Cooke,
As a very recent convert to cephalophilia, I think I can safely say that I am alone in my extensive circle of friends and acquaintances who find this subject fascinating. I wonder, however, (a bit off-topic) how one could go about collecting and analyzing cephalopod fecal matter, as I suspect it would be immediately diluted and dissipated in the aquatic environment. I’m thinking primarily of the degree of ingestion of plastics to be found in wild octopuses.

Dr. Cooke,
As a very recent convert to cephalophilia, I think I can safely say that I am alone in my extensive circle of friends and acquaintances who find this subject fascinating. I wonder, however, (a bit off-topic) how one could go about collecting and analyzing cephalopod fecal matter, as I suspect it would be immediately diluted and dissipated in the aquatic environment. I’m thinking primarily of the degree of ingestion of plastics to be found in wild octopuses.
@GavanMCooke :?:

Dr. Cooke,

The faeces tends to stay intact and is quite easy to collect and analysis, it floats which helps!

From my experience, octopuses DO vomit and it's quite obvious in the tank's water when they do...

Actually it is very hard to tell if it faeces, bits of shell discarded during manipulation OR vomit, we discuss this at length, I suspect you have actually only seen faeces or shell fragments discarded before digestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back