• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Regurgitate

we speculate they can here:

Sykes, A.V., Almansa, E., Ponte, G., Cooke, G. and Andrews, P., 2020. Can cephalopods vomit? Hypothesis based on a review of circumstantial evidence and preliminary experimental observations. Frontiers in Physiology, 11, p.765.
Dr. Cooke,
As a very recent convert to cephalophilia, I think I can safely say that I am alone in my extensive circle of friends and acquaintances who find this subject fascinating. I wonder, however, (a bit off-topic) how one could go about collecting and analyzing cephalopod fecal matter, as I suspect it would be immediately diluted and dissipated in the aquatic environment. I’m thinking primarily of the degree of ingestion of plastics to be found in wild octopuses.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Dr. Cooke,
As a very recent convert to cephalophilia, I think I can safely say that I am alone in my extensive circle of friends and acquaintances who find this subject fascinating. I wonder, however, (a bit off-topic) how one could go about collecting and analyzing cephalopod fecal matter, as I suspect it would be immediately diluted and dissipated in the aquatic environment. I’m thinking primarily of the degree of ingestion of plastics to be found in wild octopuses.
@GavanMCooke :?:

Dr. Cooke,

The faeces tends to stay intact and is quite easy to collect and analysis, it floats which helps!

From my experience, octopuses DO vomit and it's quite obvious in the tank's water when they do...

Actually it is very hard to tell if it faeces, bits of shell discarded during manipulation OR vomit, we discuss this at length, I suspect you have actually only seen faeces or shell fragments discarded before digestion.

TheSeeker

Blue Ring
Registered
Actually it is very hard to tell if it faeces, bits of shell discarded during manipulation OR vomit, we discuss this at length, I suspect you have actually only seen faeces or shell fragments discarded before digestion.

Faeces are very easy to tell, regardless of the color the shape is always similar, wiry and stringy. Vomit is more diverse, little pieces of what seems to be undigested food to a white mucous-like substance. Sorry to be so disgustingly descriptive, if I happen to witness vomiting again, I will try to capture it and post the video here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squishy2020

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak