[Reference] Charts of Nautiloid and Ammonoid orders

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Attached are two useful charts depicting the known orders of nautiloids and ammonoids showing their abundance and time ranges.

From ENK Clarksons "Invertebrate Palaeontology and Evolution" 4th ed. 1998.

Please just click on the thumbnail images for a larger versions.

Attachments

• conv_302066.png
    conv_302066.png
    367.7 KB · Views: 535
  • conv_302067.png
    conv_302067.png
    298.4 KB · Views: 352
Kevin, thanks, glad I caught you in time.

Please order a copy anyway. It's an extremely good book and well worth the price, I guess about $60 (£35 to me). For cephalopods the ammonite discussion is excellent though very little time is spent on coleoids, much to my irritation trying to research stuff for this site. There is only a dismissive couple of sentences about octopuses and a paragraph or two about teuthids, but nautiloids are covered in greater detail. Chapters are as follows:

Sponges
Cnidarians
Bryozoans
Brachiopods
Molluscs
Echinoderms
Graptolites
Arthropods
Exceptional Faunas: Ichnology
Systematic Index

For every other aspect of paleo-invertebrates I cannot recommend it highly enough. Just wish I understood more!

Here's a link to the publishers:

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/book.asp?ref=0632052384&site=1

Nautiloid Chart Dilemmas

Ellesmerocerids (reduced to Ellesmeroceratina) in the Endocerida? Interesting, hadn't seen that before. No indication of any relationships between the Tarphycerida, Oncocerida, and Nautilida, although far better established than that shown between the actinocerids and the Orthocerida. And where are the plectronocerids, ascocerids, and pseudorthocerids.

From

Nishiguchi M.K., Mapes R. ( 2008) Cephalopoda // In: W. Ponder and D. Lindberg (eds), Phylogeny and Evolution of the Mollusca. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA, pp. 163-199.

Posted by mhorn in This thread

pseudorthocerids still not shown :hmm:

Hematites taken out of Aulococarida (new spelling ?) & put in their own Order.

Attachments

• conv_293291.jpg
    conv_293291.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 205
  • conv_293292.jpg
    conv_293292.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 215

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back