Red species deep sea off California approx 2 feet Unidentified

John Ruthven

Hatchling
Registered
Hi,

I am trying to get my footage of cephalopods sorted and came across this one filmed off the San Clemente trench from 600m and caught in a cod end trawl (link below). It's not a Humboldt I don't think.

Hi,

I am trying to get my footage of cephalopods sorted and came across this one filmed off the San Clemente trench from 600m and caught in a cod end trawl (link below). It's not a Humboldt I don't think.

hi john, i left a comment on the youtube post earlier - do you have any footage that isn't as close up? it's difficult to get a sense for the mantle fin/mantle proportion here which would go a long way in helping identify it.

Upvote 0
still wondering about this one. after learning a lot more i agree with @beccalopod that it's a chiroteuthid (i apologize for the misplaced confidence of two-years-ago-jeff), the arms IV look sufficiently chonky compared to the other pairs. can't really see the tentacle clubs or any photophores to distinguish further though

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back