• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Red light for a Biocube?

Stevie

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I currently have a 29gal biocube set up. I am asking, if anyone has one and if so, how would I go about adding red light? Or I have also read on here about red film to make a light appear red. Where would I purchase such a product? I spoke to the LFS and he was interesting to say the least. He told me to run blue lights all day and the low lights at night, and also informed me that a 10 gal would be suitable. I know on this site that all of this seems to not hold true! But this is the advice I got from him. And one more question, what is the longest anyone on this page has kept an octopus alive? This man said that his lived for 4 years! Quite remarkable!

i doubt it, if anything dwarfs seem to live even less than the larger octos. For night viewing you should get red lights, the blue moonlights are actually just blue because us humans find it more visually appealing, but red lights cant be seen by octos, so these would make a better chocie

I use two layers of this stuff inside the cover of my light for one of my Mercatoris (Caribbean Dwarf) tanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RED-...001QQitemZ110125124166QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

My light is an outdoor florescent and does not produce much heat but it is made for high heat areas. They also have a film with a sticky back. I ordered it but didn't need to use it and would worry that the sticky would not come off if you ever wanted to remove the film (in my case it didn't matter but it was unnecessary). I leave this light on 24/7 and the dwarfs in that tank are the most active.

If your new little guy is what he appears, you have a diurnal bimac and don't really need to worry about night lighting. You should see him/her during the day. If the biocube takes a regular florescent you are good to go. If you have higher wattage multiple PC's you likely have a way to unplug or turn off one of them (alternately you can remove a bulb but leaving the socket open may not be a good idea as the contacts seem to collect condensation, a dead bulb would work though).

Don't buy swamp land in FL from your LSF!

HAHAHAHA the last part of your reply was awesome! I agree, I asked if he was familliar with this website, he said he was. So I just listened, and ignored advice, he seems to try and help, and I am just glad that they do not sell octopusses at that store!

Thank you Jean, and congrats to you and your big acomplishment as well!!! Yes I stated in another post that I begin start up on a 75 in the next week! Hopefully she will grow slowly, she is about the size of a nickle now. Happily eating though,.

Stevie;104709 said:
Thank you Jean, and congrats to you and your big acomplishment as well!!! Yes I stated in another post that I begin start up on a 75 in the next week! Hopefully she will grow slowly, she is about the size of a nickle now. Happily eating though,.

Thanks Stevie.............sorry I missed the other post.....I think.......brain is mush right now :oops:

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back