• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Recommendation for a RO/DI System not under the sink

DWhatley, thank you again.

Your posts are always of such excellent quality, among all the forums I've been on in the last 15 years or so, you're are among the best. Just wanted to let you know that. Your picture helped a lot.

I travel a lot for work, so can probably leave it draining in my kitchen sink and connected to the tap faucet going into a large bin with a flush valve for automatic shutoff.

I'm getting the BRS system due to price and recommendations, plus it is a unit people are familiar with so I can get assistance should I need it.

Although the Spectrapure systems come with a 3 year warranty which is nice.

Thank you for the shout out :oops:

There is not much to go wrong with these so the 3 year warranty is nice but not typically necessary and will not cover the filters (they need replacement, timing depends on use). If nothing leaks from the get go then the unit should last well beyond 3 years. Replacing the DI resin can be tricky if you pack your own, the prepacked replacement cartridges are expensive but a lot less trouble. If money were not a consideration, I would buy the prefills, instead I am not overly polite with my verbal recriminations when it leaks and I have to work to get it properly closed. I have yet to do it cleanly the first time. The canisters have an industry standard thread (so replacement should you drop and crack one - very hard to do - you can buy just the canister) and the filters are a standard design, available on-line as well as most hardware stores (less expensive on-line). Aside from flow rate most have a standard RO membrane (You will want to make note of the flow rate for eventual replacement. If it is not clearly written on the housing, add it with a sharpie). I also recommend using labels around the hoses so that when you have to break it down to move you have an easier time putting it back together (again the color coding helps a lot).

As an aside, the hose connectors are a wonder. They always seal and are such simple things you are sure they won't work. Just kind of cool if you like admiring that kind of thing :biggrin2:

I refill several DI cartridges a month and it isn't that bad :smile: Just tap the cartridge hard several times against a solid surface a few times as you're filling it to settle all the resin into closest-packing.

As a renter, even if you're using a float valve to shut off the system, it's still a good idea to put your bin or buckets in the bathtub as they fill just in case there ever is a problem. They are pretty reliable, but I don't like to take chances. Be aware the BRS unit should come with a faucet adapter, but does not come with a float valve.

I bought a canister to try to replace the DI unit I have. The problem with mine is the smallest grain of resin will get into the screw cap. I pack it very, very tightly and don't get channeling but to do that it needs to be filled to the brim. The new unit is a regular canister with the DI resin placed like a filter. I am not sure if I can replace the resin or if I have to buy replacement cartridges. It was a whim buy (from the last time I changed the resin and had to redo it several times) but I have not taken the time to mount it yet or look at the filter closely. Last week's change only took two tries but I failed to wait long enough after the first and had water on the floor. Fortunately, it is in the garage so the mess is more of an annoyance than a major concern.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back