• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Recomended GPH

I'm working on the sump for my future :octopus: and I don't know what would be the best GPH for the sump. This is for a 90 gallon tank and there are going to be two sumps so I'm getting two pumps. I want to make sure that everything will be perfect for my future friend.

It will cost about 500 dollars to make this setup. It will cost just under a hundred dollars to build the stand, 220 for the lighting, 109 for the two sumps, and 90 for the fish tank.

I am looking for a UV sterilizer, a pump for a protein skimmer that I am making, and a wet/dry filter. This price obviously does not include the price of the pump. When I first thought of setting up this tank by myself instead of paying $2000 for a pre-made, I thought that it would be about 450. This price also does not include small accessories like a magnet cleaner, the overflows, and a siphon.

In the sumps, I will have bioballs and the Plexiglas for a refugium (included in above estimation). In the refugium I will have cleaner clams, kelp, and mangroves (not included in estimation). In the sump area I will also have the other filters mentioned above.

I just want everything for my future friend to be perfect

The GPH of your sump is going to depend on your return pump. Too slow, and you will be running dry, burning up your pump. Too fast and your pump will not be able to keep up with it and it will flood. You want the GPH in your sump to be on the slower side so that water filtration media you have in it has enough contact time to do its job. You can control the flow into your sump with a ball-valve on your drain line before it gets to the sump.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back