Real or Photoshopped? (retitled)

ant said:
Is this real?
Seems a bit off and pictures look photoshopped.

Save The Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus

Sadly, it is just a myth (or is it?). Much like
The Florida Freshwater Squid - Fantastic Metropolis

for some reason, cephs seem to be very popular with "this is almost believable" web sites, maybe because giant squids are one of the few "cryptozoology" animals that turned out to actually be proven to exist, so a lot of people associate cephs with urban legend kinds of things.

If you like tongue-in-cheek science, the Museum of Jurrassic Technology (http://mjt.org) is pretty cool. I think that all of the mjt exhibits are "real" in the sense that they are what is documented, even if they are not what would normally be considered "science" or "natural history"-- for example, I think the "letters to Mount Wilson" exhibit really consisted of genuine letters sent by crackpots to what was at the time the most famous observatory in the world.

I actually read a book on the Museum of Jurassic Technology. I got about halfway through (I'm terrible about finishing books) but it was pretty interesting! I couldn't tell if it was real or fake, which is fun.

To clear up any confusion whatsoever, there is no such thing as a tree octopus. The folks at Zapatopi.net are long-time friends of TONMO.com nonetheless! (And their site is excellent)

squid_flat.jpg

?? Real?

joreed3 said:
I don't know, but I hope it is -- that would be AWESOME! I suppose it's not since larger squid aren't normally hanging out right at the surface, unless I'm mistaken.

I've seen some cool video of cuttlefish stretching out to grab food (actually I probably have it in our Video Gallery).

It's real and has been extensively dealt with, actually, in this forum :biggrin2:

I'll try and look up the thread in question.

:cheers:

Olaf

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back