• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Rare Octopus

I really need some help guys. I just bought a octopus from a friend and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. My friend said it was the rare Caribbean headless octopus. It has five arms but seemingly no head. It's skin is quite bumpy, however, it seems to find its way around the tank fine. It also has no eyes or sensory organs. I'm kind of confused on how it's alive. It seems to respond to shrimp pellets and its arms are long with suckers. I think I may have been dooped. Any help?

Sounds like you bought it a day early or two early (note tomorrow's date). Your description, sans suckers (but tube feet might count) fits a sea star far better than an octopus. Pictures should clarify.

Brock Fluharty;135332 said:
Serpent starfish I bet.

Having 5 arms is also suggestive (though not a positive id) of a common echinoderm of one kind or another but I don't think he has a serpent from his description since serpents are normally smooth. Brittles don't have anything that would look much like suckers nor would I not describe them as bumpy. For bumpy and suckers (assuming tube feet would fit the description) I am sticking with some kind of starfish (sea star). The long arms are a puzzle though since the Caribbean stars I am familiar with are kind of stubby and the Linkia is neither bumpy nor Caribbean. Sand sifting star maybe?

Hopefully he will post a picture but I am sure the guessing game is more fun than the answer :mrgreen:

Interesing that you have had serpents that are not smooth, do you remember if they were Caribbean (the majority of my critters are from the Keys so I don't see much from elsewhere).

I just went downstairs to see if I could see anything lumpy (I will be the first to admit sometimes I see with my mind's eye rather than really looking at familiar things - keeps my husband young :razz:) but all I can see at this time of the day are arms :hmm:

Been there done that - read my first post (#3) carefully :biggrin2:

I think it is crawling around in storm drain. Just as I wished for your rain we started having a loud windy thunder storm, maybe if I wish for money ...

Marine Biology;135324 said:
I really need some help guys. I just bought a octopus from a friend and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. My friend said it was the rare Caribbean headless octopus. It has five arms but seemingly no head. It's skin is quite bumpy, however, it seems to find its way around the tank fine. It also has no eyes or sensory organs. I'm kind of confused on how it's alive. It seems to respond to shrimp pellets and its arms are long with suckers. I think I may have been dooped. Any help?

I've got ocean front property in Arizona. Want in on it? $5 per acre.

my guess is it has to be a brittle star of some description
i know the ones i have at home vary from smooth to bumpy to covered in almost fur
they are quite animated often comming out for a feed and 'walking' around the tank (actualy seen one het up on 4 arms and walk like a land creature wiht the 5th arm out in front central disc and tenticle like arms ( they often sit in rock crevices wiht one or two arms out trying to grab some food
awesome little creatures for something that only has a nerve ring for a brain :smile: cant wait to see the pic

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back